OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

MySQL export/import problem

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

MySQL export/import problem

Postby silurius » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:57 am

Migrating my site from one domain to another and using phpMyAdmin to do the database export/import. I'm a little rusty on this as I've been relying on application exports for a while for other systems.

My existing site is running fine but after I performed a dump of my db using the following options (default) and imported it into the new db, I tested it out on my new domain and ran into a 404 Not Found error and found myself on "/cgi-system/index.php/index/install".

Running: MySQL 5.0.18, phpMyAdmin 2.6.4-pl3

Any ideas as to what I did wrong?

One thing I can say is the total db sizes are about 500k off, even though I selected all tables.
silurius

Postby asmecher » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:19 pm

Hi silurius,

It looks like your new system doesn't properly handle URLS using path_info; this isn't related to the database dump and reload. Search the forum for path_info and you'll find a number of threads on the subject. You can configure OJS so that it doesn't rely on path_info, but the URLs will be uglier.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby silurius » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:48 pm

Before I run down that path, I thought I would mention that I did not change hosts, just domain names. So I don't believe this issue would be related to my environment.
silurius

Postby asmecher » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:18 pm

Hi silurius,

Hmm, something is odd about your environment. Basically, when you point your browser to an unconfigured installation of OJS (i.e. to http://myserver.com/index.php), OJS will redirect to the installation page, which is at http://myserver.com/index.php/index/install. This all happens without OJS ever trying to connect to the database, as an unconfigured OJS installation doesn't yet know what kind of database it's using.

The redirect is sending you to a non-existent page, hence the 404 error. Is OJS actually installed in a subdirectory called cgi-system, or is that what's causing the problem?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby silurius » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:26 pm

The site is running in the root. Your comments got me thinking about environmental settings which I had not examined during this issue, and lo and behold I found that my previous domain had PHP as CGI disabled, and the new domain was running PHP as CGI which is default. New domain now is not running PHP as CGI, but now when I hit the root I get...
EDIT
Aha, found it. Although my files migrated over without apparent error, I just re-uploade the cache folder and the problem has been fixed. Sorry for wasting your time!
silurius

Postby silurius » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:42 pm

I spoke too soon. I'm now getting taken to http://www.mysite.com/index.php/index/install when I attempt to hit the main site (index.php).

I noticed that the file permissions needed to be fixed again as indicated by that page, so I did so but still get taken there. Given that this is an existing database, I am not willing to allow the install script to run at this point. Advice?

Edit: I've re-copied everything and exported/imported the db again, same status.

Thanks!
silurius

Postby asmecher » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:05 am

Hi Silurius,

Check your config.inc.php -- there should be an "installed" setting. If this isn't set to On, or if OJS can't access the configuration file, you'll be redirected to the install page. If you've configured your installation manually (i.e. filled in database configuration in config.inc.php), just set installed to On and you should be fine.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby silurius » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:29 am

Whoohoo, at last. You win the prize:

Code: Select all
; Set this to On once the system has been installed
; (This is generally done automatically by the installer)
installed = Off

I guess my original install was running fine with this flag the way it was, but then for some reason the new instance noticed the flag when I moved everything?
silurius

Return to OJS Technical Support