OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

HOW-TO: Import and Export Data Using OJS

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Re: HOW-TO: Import and Export Data Using OJS

Postby treitzel » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:03 am

Thanks, James, but what is phpMyAdmin? I've searched the OJS online documentation and am not finding anything about it. Todd
treitzel

Postby solty » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:38 pm

Hi,
I was not upload or upgrade database. I was try import users, issues and article titles via users XML Plugin: Import and export users

ı was read wiki
http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/Import ... rting_Data

But I am seeing error:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /trialx/index.php/nq/manager/importexport/plugin/UserImportExportPlugin/import on this server.

I was not find folder /nq/manager/ for any permission problem (RW?).

"nq" is my pathway for journal.

note: I was imported old issues, but during the reviewer or user import I was see error message.
solty

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:45 pm

Hi Solty,

The plugin scripts are in plugins/importexport/user -- you can look there to see if you have the correct permissions to run them. You may also want to investigate running the scripts from the command line: http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/Import ... mmand_Line.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby solty » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:40 am

many thanks. ı will try...
But what is the mean of correct permission? Rw-Rrw-rw?
solty

Postby solty » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:02 am

Unfortunately not solved. Changed to 777, 755 permissions.

In this stage
http://www.ms-aktif.com/trialx/index.ph ... gin/import

error
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /trialx/index.php/nq/manager/importexport/plugin/UserImportExportPlugin/import on this server.

Any suggestion? Is there any exact folder permission location for users import?
solty

Postby mcrider » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:08 am

Hi solty,

Where are you seeing this error? The error is pointing towards a function in a file, so i doubt if its a file permission issue--But there isn't even a string 'You don't have permission to access' anywhere in OJS. Have you done any customizations to your system?

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby solty » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:47 pm

The XML user upload, I was see all First name Middle name-Last name-Username as a list. After the click "Import Users" button, I was see this error message.

I was upload, all old issues as XML. But there is problem only user import.

I was not any modification. New setup 2.3, I was use import user from 2.2 to 2.3.

All forder permission 755 and files 644.

Sincerely
solty

Postby mcrider » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:55 am

Hi solty,

Could you tell us exactly where this error appears? After you click 'import users', does this come up on its own page, or does the error appear within the export users page? Also, If you could turn on the 'debug' and 'show_stacktrace' options in config.inc.php and share some of the output that occurs when you perform this action, it might help us track down the problem.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby solty » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:29 am

Dear Matt,
This is my new 2.3 OJs website.

There is no any problem export users as reviewer, author from old 2.1 OJS web site.

Problem occur during the import user.

Problem in the Last stage...

I was upload "User data file", I was see all reviewer and his/her names-mails as reviewer list

but in this stage, I see

http://www.neuroquantology.com/nq2010/i ... in/confirm

"Confirm that these are the users you would like to import into the system..."

and then was click the "Import Users" button. After the time, I see Forbidden messaage.

Best
solty

Postby mcrider » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:26 am

Solty,

I just tried the import users tool on your journal with the credentials you sent me--It worked fine.. Have you verified that the xml you are using is valid (see http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/Importing_and_Exporting_Data#Creating_the_Import_Users_XML_File)? Have you tried importing from a different computer?

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby solty » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:06 pm

Hi Matt,
No, same PC for export and import. I was not validate XML. I will try your suggested softwares.

I was attached XML file as .rar.

I was upload editorial list users. But, our list have 12 number. Is there any number restriction (we have 230 reviewer)?.
and Also I was upload old issue as XML.

I will validate...
Attachments
exportByRolerewiever.rar
(31.93 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
solty

Postby solty » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:29 pm

I was try

XML spy and find error for validation

File D:\aNQ WebMaster\NQ Css 2011\users\exportByRolerewiever.xml could not be validated because of an error in XML Schema/DTD (see below)
Element <users> does not match root element name 'issue' from the DTD.
Error location: users
Details VC: Root Element Type: Element <users> does not match root element name 'issue' from the DTD.

Is there any correction way?
solty

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:43 pm

Hi Solty,

As per the error, you have to change the line

Code: Select all
<!DOCTYPE issue PUBLIC "-//PKP/OJS Users XML//EN" "http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/dtds/users.dtd">

to

Code: Select all
<!DOCTYPE users PUBLIC "-//PKP/OJS Users XML//EN" "http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/dtds/users.dtd">

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby solty » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:58 pm

Hi James,
I was change and and try to upload.

Forbidden

OK. I will upload all reviewers manually.

Best

PS.
For OJS next version, authors must be suggest REVIEWERS NAMES during the article submission.
For peer-review journal, big problem is reviewer name. May be you can add
"Please, provide-suggest four reviewers name." with name + mail + affiliation in the Step 1.

Sincerely,

Sultan
solty

Postby jayfitzsimmons » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi,

I am trying to add old issues of our journal to our new OJS site, and finding it difficult. I have read through the instructions and the forum comments, which have been helpful but I still have a couple of questions.

1. When I use the "Articles & Issues XML Plugin" to import pdf files of old articles, where exactly do I put my pdf file? Am I correct in understanding each article's pdf file must be placed online, and I supply the .xml file with the appropriate web address to the pdf file? If so, how do I prevent anybody from getting to that pdf article? Our journal is subscription-based (we may go open access in the future, but just going online is a big step for us), and it seems to me that if I put pdf files on our server somewhere that anybody typing that pdf file's address will be able to access it without requiring a subscription or going through our OJS page. I am confused about this, so I'd appreciate anyone telling me what I'm misunderstanding.

2. I've downloaded a free .xml editor so I can make .xml files for each of the old articles. I see plenty of comments urging users to make sure our .xml files are verified against the native.dtd schema. But my .xml editor program (Microsoft's XML Notepad 2007) will only recognize schemas with a .xsd extension. Can anyone suggest a way to convert the OJS schema into .xsd, or better yet a free xml editor that a novice like me can understand and will accept .dtd files for schema?

Thank you to anyone able to help me. I normally think of myself as fairly computer-savvy, but trying to upload these old articles has proven humbling (and frustrating).
Jay Fitzsimmons
Ottawa, Canada
jayfitzsimmons

PreviousNext

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion