OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installation problem

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Installation problem

Postby hive » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:18 pm

Hey all;

I was able to get the software up and running no problem with my ISP about 2-3 weeks ago. Since then the server they had me on started acting up something fierce and I lost the install. Today I've tried to reinstall it, and I've encountered the following error:

--------------------

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/nealthom/public_html/avenuejournal/classes/core/Registry.inc.php on line 38

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/nealthom/public_html/avenuejournal/classes/core/Registry.inc.php on line 38

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nealthom/public_html/avenuejournal/classes/core/Registry.inc.php:38) in /home/nealthom/public_html/avenuejournal/classes/core/Request.inc.php on line 33

----------------

According to my CPANEL the PHP Version is 4.4.1.

Has anyone encountered this before? A cursory search on the error message brought up a PHP bug for 4.4.0.

Any ideas?

Neal
hive

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:34 pm

Hi Neal,

Are you running the most recent release of OJS (currently 2.1.0-1)?

If so, check your phpinfo output and see if you're running Zend Optimizer. There's a version of Zend Optimizer that some ISPs run that is buggy. See http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?t=704 for more information.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Success!

Postby hive » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:44 am

Thanks for this, they updated zend optimizer and all is well.
hive

Installation Problems II

Postby tmreyno » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:23 am

Hello,

I have been trying to install v2.1 and having a very difficult time. the errors I am recieving prevent the installation to continue. I changed the directory location for security purposes. This is a standard install to be used to upgrade and migrate a journal on v1.9.

Please help explain what these errors are and possible fixes. I get 53 tables in the database but not sure if this is a sucessful installation since it returns to the install page with errors every time and never completes install.

This error message is above the install input information.

Errors occurred during installation:

* A database error has occurred: Error parsing the database installation file .

and above the top header these lines error occurs

syntax error
Notice: Undefined variable: fileName in
/directory/location/for/ojs/v.2.1/classes/install/Installer.inc.php on line 388

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /directory/location/for/ojs/v.2.1/classes/xml/XMLParser.inc.php:68 ) in /directory/location/for/ojs/v.2.1/classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php on line 179

My server setting are:
ServerAPI: Apache
PHP: 4.3.11
Zend Engine 1.3.0
Zend Optimizer: 2.5.7
MySQL: 4.0.26-standard-log
Caching: Enabled
GZIP: Enabled

This is a shared server so root access is not possible.

Thanks,

Terry
tmreyno

Postby asmecher » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:16 am

Hi Terry,

If you look at dbscripts/xml/install.xml, you'll see a series of instructions that the OJS installer follows to complete the system installation. The error message you're receiving indicates that one of the files referred to in a <data ...> node couldn't be installed.

The XML data that needs to be installed is in the following files:
  • dbscripts/xml/data/email_templates.xml
  • dbscripts/xml/data/locale/{$installedLocale}/email_templates_data.xml
  • dbscripts/xml/data/currencies.xml

Check to make sure that these files exist and can be read by the web server. (The {$installedLocale} token is replaced by the name of the actual installed locale, e.g. en_US.)

If you're still having trouble, try inserting a few debug statements in classes/install/Installer.inc.php near line 384 to determine what is happening.

The error message you quoted only affects the error message; it'll be corrected in the next release, but it doesn't explain the problem you're encountering.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby tmreyno » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:49 am

Hi Alec,

Sorry for the long time to respond but I think I have a solution that appears to have worked. As you stated I checked the xml files and they are correct in placement and readable. So, I stuck the old print debug code line into the classes/install/Installer.inc.php and it indicated that the install was okay. However I was receiving weird errors in red on top of the install form all with database access problems.

I never mentioned this but my SQL server is on a separate server and IP and erroneous errors such as these occured.

error: database not responding or cannot be found,

error: database not accessible at 'username@% ' 'database' 'password=yes'

and so on..... These errors did not make any sense and your code is fine.

So I tried a series of 1.x installs and they worked fine. Next I started a series of 2.x installs and every time an error of some sort with the database or script errors.

I pondered this last night and decided to run a clock on execution times and found what I think the problems may have been. As I stated this is a shared server running apache and php. the PHP install has a low script execution time that have been set with some default execution timeouts that prevented the ojs scripts from fully executing.

I create a .htaccess file on this site with the following php rewrite codes to allow large access file and execution times:

php_value max_execution_time 1200
php_value memory_limit 200M
php_value post_max_size 20M
php_value upload_max_filesize 20M

Viola, this has appeared to resolved this auto installation problem of the scripts not fully executing. This .htaccess file is the only thing I changed and appears to have resolved this issue.

Terry
tmreyno

Postby asmecher » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:21 pm

Hi Terry,

Glad to hear it; thanks for posting a resolution.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Upgrade to versio 2.1 problem

Postby renate » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:58 pm

Good day,
I upgraded my OJS installation from version 2.0 to versio 2.1 with patch file just now. No problems were reported.
I changed the permissions as indicated, but now we can't login anymore - see the error message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: getlocalefilename() in /var/www/html/ndj/classes/i18n/Locale.inc.php on line 49

What can I do get it up again asap.
Thanks for the help.
Regards
Renate
renate

Postby asmecher » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:30 pm

See http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?t=984 for a response to this posting.
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support