OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Browse by title stopped working

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Browse by title stopped working

Postby shubhash » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:24 am

We have a few different installations of OJS for different journals. We recently found out that on some of the installations, the "browse by title" link on the front page leads to a completely blank page. We know for sure that the link was working in the past. We don't know exactly at what point it stopped working, but we have not changed any OJS files during that time. So it must be related to some settings or a bug somewhere in the system that surfaced after we uploaded specific articles. Any help would be very much appreciated.
shubhash

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:59 am

Hi Shubhash,

Check to see if PHP is encountering any errors. Depending on your system's php.ini configuration file, error messages may not be displayed (which is actually a good policy in general); check your log files. If you're on a shared host without access to the logs, try using the following line of code near the top of index.php:
Code: Select all
ini_set('display_errors', E_ALL);
Often you'll see a blank page as a result of:
  • A memory shortage (see php.ini's memory_limit directive; the default 8M often isn't enough);
  • A PHP typo (check any modifications you may have made); or
  • A file permissions problem (see in particular your template compile directory, t_compile).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby shubhash » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:29 pm

Hi Alec, Now after some troubleshooting, we found that we are facing two slightly different problems:
1. When clicked on the "browse by title" link, it leads to a page which is completely blank.
2. When clicked on the "browse by title" link, it lead to a normal looking page, but it does not display any articles at all, i.e. the number of displayed articles is zero. Otherwise the page looks quite normal.

In one installation we have the first problem, in another installation we have the second problem. The second OJS installation was working perfectly fine until we modified one of the already published articles (as an editor). The only modification was that the old article was deleted and replaced by another one (slightly different). Note that we are adding back issues and sometimes we need to make minor changes to the articles.

As for the first problem, here is the error message from the logfile:
PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in ***ojs installation directory***/classes/issue/IssueAction.inc.php on line 53

Does this information help to track down the bug?
shubhash

Postby asmecher » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:07 pm

Hi Shubhash,

I'm looking into the error message; however, for the installation that's displaying an empty list, try going into Journal Setup Step 5 and checking the "Items Per Page" and "Page Links" settings. Are they properly set (i.e. something like 25 and 10)?

What version of OJS are you using for the installation that's giving you the error message?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby shubhash » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:47 am

The OJS version we are using is 2.1.0.1. The problem of empty list seems to be much more elusive than the other problem. Magically, the displayed list is not empty any more and it is working as it should. And no we have not made any changes on the settings. When it was not working, it did not generate any php error messages. The problem is not easily reproducible but we will let you know if/when that happens again. The first problem (blank page) is still there.
shubhash

Postby asmecher » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:14 pm

For the installation with the blank page, try deleting the precompiled templates in cache/t_compile (making sure that the web server has permissions to write to that directory); this might correct the problem.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby shubhash » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:08 am

Hi Alec,
Thanks for the active support in this forum. I deleted the template cache and data cache and checked all file permissions. The problem did not go away. So as a quick fix, I added following line in the beginning of the function "subscriptionRequired" and the problem is gone for now.

Code: Select all
function subscriptionRequired(&$issue) {
                 if ($issue == null) return true;
}

So it appears that under some circumstances "issue" has a null value. I don't have the expertise to perform a complete debugging of the code, but I hope that the above will give you idea as to what the actual problem is and hopefully helps you to find a more appropriate solution for it. I suspect that the problem of empty list of titles might also be somehow related to this.
shubhash

Postby shubhash » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:02 pm

Ok, finally we found the root cause of the problem. We don't know how it happened, but somehow one of the submitted articles ended up in an undefined state in the system. It was not part of any published issues and was not in any queue. However if an editor logged in and followed the "archive" link, the article was there but not associated with any of the published issues. We could not find any way to delete the article as there were no any links or buttons to deleter the article anywhere. So we manually changed the status of the article to 'rejected' in the database. Then a "DELETE" link appeared next to the title of the article. After deleting that article (which was a test/dummy article anyway), the whole problem went away. But we are still wondering how an article would end up in such an undefined state! The database indicated that the article was published (the value of "status" field was 3), but was nowhere to be found when browsing the issues.
shubhash

Postby asmecher » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:26 pm

Hi Shubhash,

Very curious -- I'd appreciate any information you can provide about the process you followed to land the article in such a perdicament. Was this article migrated from an OJS 1.x installation? Did you perhaps publish and then delete the issue that it was published in?

FYI, submissions can always be deleted once they've been archived. An Editor can archive a submission from its Summary page.

Thanks,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby shubhash » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:29 pm

Hi Alec, I am not quite sure how the article ended up there. But I know that in the beginning we used to submit and delete articles/issues for testing and to get familiar with the system. No we did not upgrade from version 1.x. We started using it from version 2.0.0.0.

As for archiving or deleting archived articles, I always used to think that it should be possible to delete. But in this particular case, we had no any options to archive or delete the article at all. I have attached a screenshot here:
shubhash

Postby asmecher » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:01 pm

Hi Shubhash,

This may not help in the case of articles that are "stuck" in the way you describe. However, to delete a published article:
  • Remove the article from the issue it's published in; this will return the article to the scheduling queue
  • Go to the article's Summary page as an editor and click on "Archive Submission"
  • Go into the Archive list and find the article; you should now be able to click a "Delete" link on the right-hand side.

I'll test to see if I can find the conditions you encountered with respect the article becoming stuck; however, there's a good chance that this was caused by a problem that's already been corrected since the release of OJS 2.0.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support