OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Userid with "." period.

Are you a Director, Presenter, Reviewer or Conference Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OCS from an everyday user's perspective: conference managers, presenters, and directors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OCS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OCS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OCS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OCS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OCS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Userid with "." period.

Postby billysundar » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:44 pm

A lot of my users would like to use "." in their userid; however, password validation fails when there is a "." in the userid.
Is there a quick code fix for this problem?

Cheers
billysundar

Re: Userid with "." period.

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:51 am

Hi Billy,

The class responsible for that validation check is lib/pkp/classes/form/validation/FormValidatorAlphaNum.inc.php. You can change the regex to allow "."s, but this will affect more than just the registration check, as this form validator is used elsewhere. You may want to create another validator class and call that from the registration page instead. There's also the custom validator class (FormValidatorCustom.inc.php), but I'm not entirely sure how that works myself. I'll ask a developer to chime in on this conversation as well. And note that there may be other side effects or security considerations if you allow other characters as part of the user name.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Re: Userid with "." period.

Postby mcrider » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:28 am

Hi Billy,

You can follow James' advice and allow periods in the regex for FormValidatorAlphaNum, but the only place i see this causing a problem is in classes/admin/form/JournalSiteSettingsForm.inc.php--The form validator is used here to make sure the journal path in the url only uses valid characters and (AFAIK) a period will not work here. So--Just make sure you don't put periods in the journal path for any new journals you create and you should be golden!

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Return to OCS Conference Support and Discussion