OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Do supplementary files have to be published?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Do supplementary files have to be published?

Postby osborne » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:44 pm

When an article is published, it seems that the supplementary files associated with the submission are automatically published. I can see that they can be deleted entirely, but I haven't managed to find a way to keep them but not publish them. (The files I'm dealing with are referees' reports from an earlier submission at another journal, so they definitely should not be published!!)

Am I missing something?
osborne

Postby John » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:10 pm

With the Supplementary Files intended, as stated, for data sets, research instruments, etc., the thought was that authors would only include them with the idea of publishing them. We had not forseen their use for referee's reports for an earlier submission at another journal, which was short-sighted of us. There is no way to suppress their inclusion, unless you suppress them all by not including the Supp File in the Reading Tools.

More importantly, perhaps, it should always be an editor's call, and not the system's, on what is suitable to be publish, so I will recommend that this option be included, at the Layout stage, in case, for example, the Layout Editor ends up including some part of the Supp File directly into the text.
John

Postby osborne » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:04 pm

So many features in the system are long-sighted that it seems tough to characterize this one as short-sighted!

The most common supplementary file that I expect us to get is an appendix of detailed proofs that the referees should see, but that is not intended for publication. So if you can easily do so, it would indeed be helpful to allow the editor to determine which supplementary files should be published.
osborne

Return to OJS Technical Support