OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Including Previous Editions in OJS

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Including Previous Editions in OJS

Postby ramon » Mon May 24, 2004 11:53 am

Dear OJSers,

I have the following dilemma and wonder how other people worked it out:

We need to include old issues, back to 1995 and maybe even earlier, in the system, but want to skip the communication process with authors, for they don´t need this information anymore (some authors have been registered because of the new issue, and have written previous articles as well, we don´t wan to confuse them any more than they already must be).

How do we change the submission date to the actual date it was sent to the journal? Is that ok to do?

How can we skip all the steps and go directly to publishing??

tnks
ramon

Postby kevin » Mon May 24, 2004 1:05 pm

There is an XML import mechanism designed just for this purpose. Take a look at the xmlimport.php script, as well as docs/ojs-import.dtd and docs/ojs-import-example.xml
kevin

File structure

Postby ramon » Tue May 25, 2004 7:34 am

can my file structure be anything, or does it need to follow a certain rule?

I have 3 issues a year, so for each year I have to create a folder? How does it go into the archives??

What about the abstract? the issues toc? is that created automatically?

The html address is different from the pdf. why is that?

I looked into the DB and realised the HTML is included into a field, while the pdf is a path to the file... How do I create this? Get the pattern from the db?

I´m working on a form to create the xml file to import, so I hope my doubts aren´t too silly...
ramon

Re: File structure

Postby kevin » Tue May 25, 2004 7:41 am

does the xmlimport.php know where to save the files, or do I have to create the structure for it?

It assumes the system has been installed correctly. But it will create any directories and files as required. The XML file specifies the paths to the original files (either paths on your local filesystem or URLs).

I have 3 issues a year, so for each year I have to create a folder? How does it go into the archives??

You would create a single XML file containing the issues to be imported.

What about the abstract? the issues toc? is that created automatically?

That information is specified in the XML file.

The html address is different from the pdf. why is that?

I don't understand what you mean.

I looked into the DB and realised the HTML is included into a field, while the pdf has is a path to the file... Will ojs know what to do with it?

The XML file specifies the path to an HTML file. It will be read and handled as OJS expects.
kevin

addressing

Postby ramon » Tue May 25, 2004 8:50 am

This is what I mean when I asked about the addressing....

That's simply an example to illustrate that you can specify either a path on your local filesystem or a web URL.

My question is how ojs will know where to find the files? will I have to upload them to the specific folders, or just having the links to local files in the local drive will suffice?

Well, in the case of the XML import script it will copy the files to where OJS expects them and update the database appropriately.

You can take a look at the code if you want to try to replicate similar functionality.
ramon

XML Creation System

Postby ramon » Wed May 26, 2004 5:51 am

Dear OJSers,

Does anyone have a system that creates the XML Import Structure?

I was working on something and realised, with my team, that using Access could make it easier to create a basic input sytem. Then, the reports would be much easier to export, but if someone already has one, there´s no need to reinvent the wheel.

I´m asking this because I believe many journals in Brazil are going to need such a system, as most of the editorial teams are not technologically advanced.
ramon

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion