OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Uploading Posters/Papers

Are you a Director, Presenter, Reviewer or Conference Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OCS from an everyday user's perspective: conference managers, presenters, and directors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OCS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OCS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OCS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OCS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OCS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Re: Uploading Posters/Papers

Postby jmacgreg » Wed May 19, 2010 10:45 am

Hi Trudy,

The author version actually has to be uploaded via the Paper Review page, not the Abstract Review page, which looks to be what you've done here. IMO, the Abstract Review page shouldn't have an upload field if Abstract Followed by Presentation is the submission method chosen. I've filed a bug report here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5450.

Typically, if Abstract Followed by Presentation is chosen from the start, the workflow goes like so: Author submits abstract; abstract is reviewed, and presentation is invited; Author returns to system, and on clicking the submission title from their queue is immediately asked to submit a presentation file, which is uploaded to the appropriate place (under Paper Review); Director then has access to the file. If the system is reconfigured after the fact (as yours has been), that highlighted step falls through the cracks, and it's easier to make a mistake (ie. upload a file to the wrong place).

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby tshore » Wed May 19, 2010 11:05 am

The file was also visible under the Author's Paper Review page. I just uploaded a 2nd author version via the author's Paper Review page (I'm not sure which page was used before) and it still isn't visible on the Director's Paper Review page... Is there something I can set manually in the DB so that directors can see the uploaded documents?
Picture 14.png
Picture 14.png (65.62 KiB) Viewed 2285 times
tshore

Postby asmecher » Thu May 20, 2010 9:48 am

Hi Trudy,

Just to clarify -- there's a distinction between the version that's uploaded during the regular submission process (this is called the "submission file") and a version that's uploaded later e.g. as a revision during the review process. Where was the missing file uploaded?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby tshore » Thu May 20, 2010 10:00 am

The last screenshot posted shows the page where the Author Version was uploaded:

User > Author > Submissions > #192 > Paper Review

I don't see anywhere else that it could be uploaded, except for the ADD A SUPPLEMENTARY FILE link, which I didn't think was correct.
tshore

Postby tshore » Wed May 26, 2010 6:23 am

Anything??
tshore

Postby asmecher » Wed May 26, 2010 9:04 am

Hi Trudy,

Could you post the relevant entries in the paper_files table for these files? Also, what is the review_mode entry in the papers table for this paper?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby tshore » Wed May 26, 2010 9:46 am

Picture 17.png
Picture 17.png (28.35 KiB) Viewed 2247 times

Picture 16.png
Picture 16.png (126.15 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
tshore

Postby asmecher » Sat May 29, 2010 2:47 pm

Hi Trudy,

This is probably because of the way the submissions were manually changed from one review mode to another -- the "stage" column in paper_files and the "current_stage" column in papers should be 2 (REVIEW_STAGE_PRESENTATION) rather than 1 (REVIEW_STAGE_ABSTRACT).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby tshore » Mon May 31, 2010 8:09 am

Thank you Alec. I think that's finally done it. I had to re-upload the paper, as the previous ones didn't show up anywhere.

Can you just confirm that this is what the director will need to do in order to make each uploaded file available on the website:

Beginning here:

User > Director > Submissions > #192 > Paper Review

The director will have to download the author version by clicking on its filename. Then they have to upload that same file as a Galley.

Both the RECORD DECISION and COMPLETE buttons were greyed out, but it was not necessary to do anything with these in order to make the galley available on the website.
tshore

Postby tshore » Mon May 31, 2010 7:25 pm

I realize that this has come up before, and I think this should be filed as a bug, rather than a feature request. I think that most people would expect that, if they changed the submission method mid-conference, whatever is necessary to make this work, should happen automatically. So, if the submission method for a conference is changed, then each entry in the papers table may need to be changed. In this case, I changed the submission method from: ABSTRACT to ABSTRACT FOLLOWED BY PRESENTATION and what needed to happen, but had to be done manually, was that each paper for this scheduled conference needed to have the following set:

current_stage = 2
review_mode = 3

Perhaps other things need to change as well, but, in this case, this is what I had to do in order to allow presenters to upload files and directors to have access to these uploads.
tshore

Postby tshore » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:40 pm

I still think that this is a necessary functionality of a conference CMS. It should be straightforward for presenters to upload their poster, paper or slides after the conference is over (or whenever they have them ready). The whole point of PKP is to make it easier for researchers to share their work. I have had a number of conference organizers ask me for this feature over the years, but instead I have to give them this workaround:
UploadPostersPapersSlides.png
UploadPostersPapersSlides.png (56 KiB) Viewed 1866 times

I also noticed that the terminology has changed. On the backend in Setup, 2.1 Submission Process, the box that you check is now labeled as:
Abstract followed by proposal (2 rounds of review required; first for abstract, second for proposal)
where it used to be labeled as:
Abstract followed by presentation
, which to me sounds like the system isn't even considering the uploading of presentations to be an option any longer?
tshore

Previous

Return to OCS Conference Support and Discussion