OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS in PhD Dissertation

General inquiries about the PKP.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, vgabler, barbarah, John

Forum rules
Feel free to post general inquiries about the PKP Here. We'll also post notes of interest from time to time. You may also want to check out the PKP blog.

OJS in PhD Dissertation

Postby newone » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:10 am

Well, I have been working on this for sometime now, but glad to do a brief announcement here.

I successfully defended my Area Paper/Field Project. Using open-source technology, such as Open Journal System as a methodological tool, the project focused on a new process for creating knowledge on the Web.

I am now finishing the dissertation.

I am also unaware of any doctoral dissertation that focuses on Open Journal System.

Newone
newone

Re: OJS in PhD Dissertation

Postby John » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:37 am

Newone
Congratulations on the dissertation, and we'd love to hear more about it and perhaps include a link to the digital version on our site. Ajit Pyati (completed 2007) and Mia Quint (not quite finished) have done dissertations on PKP as open source software organizations; Peter Arthur did one on the Reading Tools in OJS (2009) and Smith Esseh is working on one in relation to the potential of OJS in the African context.
All the best with what's to follow and we're always interested in assisting with research ventures in this area,
John Willinsky, Stanford University
Director, Public Knowledge Project
John

Postby newone » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:01 am

Thanks for the note and great to hear more dissertations on OJS. What kind of assistance do you offer for research ventures in this area?

While I am aware of some of the dissertations you mentioned, my area of focus is radically different from anything done on OJS till now because the research looks at the structures and processes that create and produce knowledge.

While my area paper focused on electronic journal publishing and OJS, my dissertation also focuses on other open source technologies.

I will have to send abstract.

N
newone

Postby newone » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:07 pm

I am happy to announce that I have successfully defended my dissertation in Philosophy, Interpretation, and Culture just a few hours ago. I am now a Dr. The whole defense was superb. It is an exciting feeling!
newone

Postby jmacgreg » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:45 pm

Hi newone,

Congratulations from the PKP team on your successful defense! Are you able to share your abstract with us, and/or provide a link to the dissertation if it's available online? We'd love to see it.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby newone » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:45 pm

James,

Thanks PKP Team!

I have put up the abstract for the dissertation online. I am in the middle of submitting it to my school.

You can read the abstract online here:
http://www.africaresource.com/index.php ... Itemid=364

Please, do contact me via my email address about placing the dissertation or link of the dissertation on PKP website.

Azuka
newone

Return to General Discussion