OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

How to publish multiple language versions?

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

How to publish multiple language versions?

Postby mboixadera » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:08 am

Hi everyone,

It's been a year since I've started to learn about OJS and use it. I work at a university that has 5 e-journals which are in the process of migrating to OJS. These e-journals have a special characteristic: all of them publish the original articles in two or more than two languages on separate files (PDF).

How does OJS solve this issue?? Do we have to upload the translated articles as complementary files?

Thank you very much for attention.

Maria Boixadera
mboixadera

Re: How to publish multiple language versions?

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:29 pm

Hi Maria,

OJS is a fully-multilingual system, and can do as you want, depending on the languages you need. If the languages you need are available (see the Site Administrator's Languages page; if they are not there, take a look at http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs-languages) install them from the Site Administration -> Languages page; and then enable them from each Journal Management -> Languages page. You will have to do this for each language, for each journal; after which you will see a drop-down menu with all your installed and enabled languages in the sidebar.

Once this is done, you can input information for many different fields in all your languages. For example, if you go to Journal Setup Step 1, you will see at the top of the page a "Form Locale" option to switch from one language to another -- when you do this, the multilingual fields will appear blank, and you will be able to add your information in the selected language. Repeat for each language, and then click the Save button at the bottom of the page. Many pages through OJS work like this (including some of the Author Submission files, the user profile page, and so on).

Multilingual galleys work a little differently. You can upload more than one galley file per submission from the Submission Editing page. Whenever you upload a galley file, you can subsequently choose the galley's locale. If you have three PDFs of the same article in different languages, simply upload them one after the other, choosing the appropriate locale after each upload is complete. Visitors to the site will see a link to the galley file of the locale they are currently browsing in.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby mboixadera » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:04 am

Thank you very much for your answer.

I already know how locales work. At our university we are working on the Catalan version. I was interested in understanding how would the galleys work and which galleys would readers view when they access the journal. Your answer is clear.

But still is it possible to show the three galleys, alltogether, on each locale?

Thank you.

Maria Boixadera
mboixadera

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi Maria,

There's not currently any way to manage the functionality you want, but it's an oft-requested feature, and has been reported here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3865. Please feel free to Cc yourself to the report, and you will receive notification on further updates.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby mboixadera » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:18 am

Thanks a lot.

Maria
mboixadera

Postby CFreire » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi, James:

I installed the latest version (2.3.1) and need to instruct my editors. The question:

As author, I can only upload one file during the submission process. The only option that appears after the upload is to replace the file.

So if I understand correctly, if this article has translated into more than one language, you should gather all translations into a single file or send them separately as a supplementary document and then solved by the Editor of the edit page of the submission.

Is this right?

Cheers
Carlos
CFreire

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi Carlos,

Your are correct -- the author should upload the one file with both language versions in it. The layout editor (or editor/section editor) will create separate galley files from this file during the layout process.

However, I think this this would be a good feature to have, and have reported it as a feature request: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5381. Please feel free to CC yourself to that report for future updates.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby CFreire » Sat May 01, 2010 10:44 am

Thanks, James, accepted invitation, my email included in the bug.

Now, without wanting to abuse, and also wondering if these suggestions have not been made, followed by two more:
- Make the inclusion of galley files is made similarly to the metadata, images, etc. .. That is, through the select Form Language and not the side menu (I even have me confused with this) :oops: ;
- Make an option for sending administrative emails only to batch registrations in that language. I imagine that perhaps it would require a new column in user_settings (say, a primary_locale) with an obligation to fill the same during registration. A lot of problems in register updates, I think, but...

Cheers,
Carlos
CFreire

Postby jmacgreg » Wed May 05, 2010 11:47 am

Hi Carlos,

No problem -- we appreciate any suggestions you might have!

- Make the inclusion of galley files is made similarly to the metadata, images, etc. .. That is, through the select Form Language and not the side menu (I even have me confused with this) :oops: ;

Hrm, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by side menu. You should be able to upload separate galley files for each language, and choose the proper language on the Galley Edit page. The proper galley will then appear when a user navigates to the Table of Contents in that language. (There has been a discussion on changing how galleys are displayed: see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3865.)

- Make an option for sending administrative emails only to batch registrations in that language. I imagine that perhaps it would require a new column in user_settings (say, a primary_locale) with an obligation to fill the same during registration. A lot of problems in register updates, I think, but...

There may be a way to do this already, without too much extra coding; I'll ask a developer to get back to you with some possible suggestions.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby CFreire » Fri May 07, 2010 3:31 pm

Hi, James:

Hrm, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by side menu. You should be able to upload separate galley files for each language, and choose the proper language on the Galley Edit page. The proper galley will then appear when a user navigates to the Table of Contents in that language. (There has been a discussion on changing how galleys are displayed: see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3865.)

Trying to explain better (and sorry about my english, always, please): when transferring a file to the final composition (submissions » editing), the language configured for this file is defined in the side menu. But, in the review metadata, the locale is defined in "form language", no matter the language of the side menu. That's a fool, I know, but my two editors (and their assistants) "suffered" a bit to automate this routine. Anyway, I think it is unrelated to the bug indicated. 8)

There may be a way to do this already, without too much extra coding; I'll ask a developer to get back to you with some possible suggestions.

Very good news! I'm waiting then... :)

Cheers
Carlos
CFreire

Postby mcrider » Fri May 07, 2010 3:37 pm

Hi Carlos,

Where do you want to send these batch emails from? The editor's 'Notify Users' page? In any case, there is a function for the User class (in lib/pkp/classes/user/PKPUser.inc.php) called getLocales(), which will return a list of the user's preferred locales--This can be used for your purposes.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby CFreire » Tue May 11, 2010 4:26 pm

Exactly, Matt.
I'll try to "decipher" and use. As I'm rehearsing learn php ... Another incentive! Thanks. :)

Cheers,
Carlos
CFreire

Postby jamief » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:14 am

Im not having any success in getting a pdf upload to a second language. I am using the quicksubmit plugin. I create an article in English, upload an english pdf etc.

Now I want to create the version in Portuguese. I can edit the meta data of the submission, but how do I upload and link the portuguese pdf to the submission?
jamief

Postby ramon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:33 am

Hello jamief,

The quick submit is an option for Editors enrolled as authors to bypass most of the editorial process.
Hence, you'd use it to publish ONE article.
To publish the other versions of the article (be it other multimedia formats or other languages), you will still need to use the LAYOUT section of the submission and send the galley files, choosing the correct language.
Remember that OJS' interface and content are separate things.
So, if you are using only one language, you would send the galley and just change its label.
If using more than one language, and you'd like to publish the content related to the language, you need to change the form's language.
If you want to publish all the content in all the languages (for example, you want an English reader to know that there is a Portuguese version), then you need to either hack the system to display all the content by language (if nothing has changed) or publish copies of the articles via the regular process.
ramon

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion