OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Request for input: multilingual support and OJS/OCS

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Request for input: multilingual support and OJS/OCS

Postby Charles.Vincent » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:47 am

Hi,
We've just started the Abstracts submission process usisn the latest version of OCS.

The main language of the Conference is currently set to English, but we also accept submissions in Spanish and Portuguese.

However, there is a setting in the system that forces a Portuguese or Spanish user to submit an english version.

Is there any way of not forcing a submission to be made in English, also ?

This is pretty urgent, since we're receiving many complaints from worldwide users !

Thanks,

Charles C Vincent
SIGraDi 2009 - http://www.mackenzie.br/sigradi.html
Charles.Vincent

Re: Multilanguage Abstract Submission

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:23 pm

Hi Charles,

We've had a few requests for this kind of functionality, and just a couple of days ago I posted a bug report for it: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4144. Please feel free to CC yourself to that report for future updates. I don't know if this issue will receive attention in the very near future or not -- but If you are in an especially dire situation and are able to work on the problem yourself for the time being, we can certainly provide assistance.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby Charles.Vincent » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:56 am

OK, Thank you.

Charles
Charles.Vincent

Postby Charles.Vincent » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:37 am

Oh! I just read the Bug report, and I guess I've got an alternative and paliative idea.

Can the page be redesigned to ressemble the equivalent page in Open Journal System ?

In OJS, author/submit, the user is presented to n languages abstract submission fields,
making it a more straightforward process.

I tried editing the OCS Abstracts submission page myself, to no avail.

Can it be done ?

Thanks again,

Charles
Charles.Vincent

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:31 pm

Hi Charles,

Which version of OJS are you using? More recent versions of OJS work exactly the same as OCS, and the behaviour which you point out in viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4113&p=15909#p15909 has been fazed out. (Err, and apologies for missing that previous thread -- it slipped through somehow.) The graceful handling of multiple locales has been an ongoing discussion in our group, and we're happy to hear any ideas from the community. Our main concern about the way we used to do things (ie. all locale fields displayed by default) is that some pages can quickly become unweildy and somewhat confusing for users, especially with large text fields present. I wonder if the solution might be some simple AJAX -- if multi-locale fields could be 'collapsed' by default to show the default locale to fill in, but expandable to show all possible locales by the click of a button/link. This would be a separate issue from Bug 4144, but related. What do you think?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby Charles.Vincent » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:34 am

Hi, James.

I did't know that this behaviour had changed, because we're still using the previous release (not sure which one, maybe 2.1 ? ? ).
The Ajax alternative, i.e. collapsing fields might be a pretty good solution indeed.

Meanwhile, do you think there would be any way to revert this specific page to the former behaviour, i.e. multiple language fields displayed concurrently ?

Let me bring up another subject.
A fellow of mine who's running OCS for a Conference in Mexico has had the same problems I had with the spanish locales.

He's probably a better option for translating the locales and correcting my own translations, so I'm copying our communications.
You can contact him directly, perhaps.
His name is Fernando Maldonado, and his email is
fernando@pumas.iingen.unam.mx

Best regards,

Charles

Quote:
Dear Fernando,

first of all, I'm really sorry for answering your message in English.
In fact, my spanish is pretty bad, as you can see from some of the translations I've done for our site !

Well, I solved some of the translations problems in two different ways:

1. I opened the locale files in our OCS installation, and made some of the translations directly on the files.
2. I asked for help at the PKP (Public Knowledge Project) Forum, and James McGregor allowed me to use their site to complete some of the translations.

I'm copying this message for him, so perhaps you can have the same access I had, complete the translations and maybe correct some of my own translations.

I just hoe all goes well with your conference.
Just let me know if I can help you any further.

Best regards,

Charles C Vincent
SIGraDi 2009 - Local Organizing Committee
http://www.mackenzie.br/sigradi.html
Charles.Vincent

Re: Request for input: multilingual support and OJS/OCS

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the email, and your related commentary. I don't believe there is any way to easily revert to the way things were -- the change to the current methodology was extensive and far-reaching -- although I will ask the developers if there may be a display workaround. One warning: the workaround would involve editing all templates that include multilingual support, which wouldn't be trivial.

I will also send off an email to Fernando -- many thanks for his contact info! I'll CC you.

On a further note: I've renamed and stickied the thread so that it will serve as a request for input. As I said previously, this issue has come up before, and we'd like to provide a solution that works for as many people as possible. We would like to solicit as much commentary as possible before reimplementing multilingual form support, as the work will be extensive and we'd rather not refactor again if possible.

Right now the idea that seems to be gaining the most traction is to reimplement the form switcher as an AJAX-enabled toggle per field, while also expanding the check that ensures mandatory data is filled in across all locales (ie., so that no one locale will be a 'default' locale). Commentary on these proposed solutions, and other possible solutions, are most welcome.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby GDA » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:02 pm

Hi James!

Please tell me where can we see correctly russian language for OJS 2.2.3.0 ?
Thank you!

P.S. See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4557
GDA

Postby cybermon » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:06 am

Dear All,

I am trying to input a metadata of author's name and titles, abstracts in OJS with both language an English and Mongolian. I am wondering to sumbit an article titles in both English and Mongolian. Unfortunately, When I input an author's name select English or Mongolian. Last input is of author name only active in my system during select language.

Is there anyone solve this issue in OJS. Please advise for this problem,

PS: I have latest version of OJS and installed in my test server. Journal already done journal's language and input form in both a English and Mongolian.

best regards,
Gana
cybermon

Postby jmacgreg » Mon May 03, 2010 1:41 pm

Hi Gana,

I'm afraid I don't quite understand the problem -- is there any way you can point me to the test server to try this out?

Also, have you translated OJS into Mongolian, and if so, would you consider contributing your translation to PKP? We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to include your work with OJS, and would be happy to recognize your contribution on the OJS languages page.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby cybermon » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:46 am

Dear James,

I am so sorry for delayed for your question. When I finish translation of OJS into Mongolian than I will contribution on the OJS languages page.
Regarding my question, I would like to show that articles's author name is with following metadata English and Mongolia.
For example;
English name: Gantulga Lkhagva
Mongolian name: Гантулга Лхагва
cybermon

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:43 pm

Hi Gana,

No worries about the delay! We're just excited to be able to also offer Mongolian to our users as a language choice.

Regarding your question: there is currently no way to add author names in multiple locales, but I have added it as a feature request to be included in a future version of OJS: please see the report here, and CC yourself to it for future updates.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby Tadas » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:10 am

I have filled up English information(setup) about the journal, then installed Linthuanian, and filled up information in Lithuanian. Now when I'm trying to modify English information I'm getting error, that fields in Lithuanian are left blank, while they are not. But if I'm modifying Lithuanian information - everything is ok. I found work-aruond for that: disable Lithuanian language for the journal, then modify English information and after everything changed what I need, enable Lithuanian language.

What could be wrong?
Tadas

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:32 am

Hi Tadas,

Can you give us a bit more information on which version of OJS you are using, and also exactly what the error is and where it appears (eg. on which page)?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby Tadas » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:58 am

I'm using OJS 2.3.1-2. And the error appears when I'm trying to submit new submission metadata.

While I'm trying to submit English information, I'm getting error that required fields are not filled up in Lithuanian
Tadas

Next

Return to OJS Technical Support