OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Uploading Posters/Papers

Are you a Director, Presenter, Reviewer or Conference Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OCS from an everyday user's perspective: conference managers, presenters, and directors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OCS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OCS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OCS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OCS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OCS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Uploading Posters/Papers

Postby tshore » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:34 am

I am running a 2.1.2 conference and the director just informed me that they want the presenters to be able to upload their presentations (ie. their poster or a paper associated with their talk). Abstract submissions have closed and all of the presentations have been posted. No problem, I say. I go into the conference management pages and I select "Abstract followed by presentation" along with "Post abstracts once the abstract review has been completed". So I go and login as an author to check it out, but I don't see anywhere that allows me to upload a paper/poster. Now it looks as if I can upload a Supplementary File, despite the fact that I didn't check "Supplementary files can be submitted with abstracts and presentations", but I'm pretty sure that's not what is supposed to happen. Help please.
tshore

Re: Uploading Posters/Papers

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:24 pm

Hi Trudy,

Previously-submitted presentations won't have their submission type changed when you change Conference Setup, as their submission process has presumably already started, but you can change this in the db -- see viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4221 for details.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby tshore » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:47 am

I tested a single paper - setting review_mode = 3 and then logging in as that user. Is this where we are supposed to upload papers: Upload Author Version under Director Decision?
tshore

Postby tshore » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:12 pm

So is "Upload Author Version" the right place to upload the paper? Their conference is next week, so I would like to be able to get them an answer asap.

Thank you.
tshore

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:37 pm

HI Trudy,

That is correct. Judging from the confusion in this thread and in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6056&p=23181#p23181 (which includes a more complete description of the process), this needs to be clarified in the template. I'd recommend editing the locale file so that it's as clear as can be. Would you mind filing a bug report with the change that you would recommend for this to be as clear as possible? We'll fold it into the code base.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby tshore » Thu May 13, 2010 7:17 pm

Now that we've uploaded a few papers, how do we get to see them? I can't see a paper even when logged in as a Director?

User > Director > Submissions > #192 > Paper Review

Nor is it available when viewing the presentation. For example:

https://www.devpsych.ca/ocs/index.php/d ... r/view/192

I have set:

Website Posting
Accepted papers: May 13, 2010

I tried clicking on:

Close comments (activate Reading Tools)

but that didn't seem to help.

I also tried clicking on:

» Conference Manager » Reading Tools

but I got a blank page.

What do I need to do in order to make these uploaded papers accessible?
tshore

Postby jmacgreg » Fri May 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi Trudy,

Have you clicked the "Complete" button; and uploaded a galley file under Layout?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby tshore » Fri May 14, 2010 4:24 pm

I don't get it? The author already uploaded the "Author Version". How do I upload a galley? And why?

And should I be reading this somewhere instead of bugging you guys?
tshore

Postby jmacgreg » Fri May 14, 2010 4:51 pm

Hi Trudy,

The Author version has nothing to do with galley proofs -- it's the author's final revised version before layout typically commences. Directors are the only people able to upload final galleys, as a) authors aren't typically required to provide galley-level proofs; and b) the Director really should have final say over what appears publicly on the site.

OCS in an Hour has some information on how to upload galley files (p. 73; 77), as does the OCS Quick Guide (p. 16), so yes, given that we're fairly busy with support requests, you would probably find it quicker to search or browse those documents for finding some non-technical answers. I'm guessing the same question has already been answered on the forum, in which case a search might turn something up. However, we are a bit out of date with our OCS documentation (soon to be remedied), and sometimes answers are hard to find; so we don't mind the questions, even if it takes some time for us to get to them.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby tshore » Fri May 14, 2010 11:09 pm

I guess I'm just a bit confused. For a conference, we just want authors to be able to upload their presentations (ie. their actual poster, maybe their powerpoint presentation - not sure, or an actual paper that goes with their talk). I'm sure that we've done this in the past and we didn't have to do anything as directors?
tshore

Postby jmacgreg » Mon May 17, 2010 10:10 am

Hi Trudy,

That workflow doesn't ring a bell for me -- possibly an option in OCS 1.x, which I haven't touched in a number of years now.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby tshore » Mon May 17, 2010 10:35 am

I realize that OCS is based on OJS, but running a conference is not exactly the same as running a journal. I have looked at OCS in an Hour (I'm working more along the lines of OCS in 10,000 hours - slow learner, I guess) and I see how to upload a galley proof. My question is, if an author has uploaded an "author version" and I want to make that available on the website, exactly what do I have to do? Do I need to download the author version and then re-upload it as a galley proof? For 200-300 presentations, this could make for a lot of work...

Correction: When logged in as the director assigned to a presentation that the author has uploaded an author version for, I can't even see that the author has uploaded anything? So, I wouldn't even be able to do what I proposed above (downloading the author version and re-uploading it as a galley proof)?
tshore

Postby jmacgreg » Mon May 17, 2010 3:36 pm

Hi Trudy,

I checked with Kevin, and he recalled that the 1.x line did allow the author's final version to be posted online without any checks. I've added a feature request for this (and another workflow type that I think could be handy) here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5443. Please feel free to CC yourself for future updates. But yes, for the time being you'll have to manually upload the presentation files.

You should be able to see the author's last version by logging in as a Director, and viewing the submission's Paper Review page. Under Director Decision you should see all of the paper revisions listed (Reviewer Version; Author Version; Director Version). You'll have to download the one you want published, and then upload it as a galley file under Layout.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby tshore » Mon May 17, 2010 5:10 pm

Thank you for checking into that for me.

I cannot see the Author's Version where you said it should be. I have attached two screen shots showing that it has been uploaded on the author's page and that it's not available on the director's page.

Picture 12.png
Picture 12.png (66.05 KiB) Viewed 4584 times

The attachment Picture 13.png is no longer available
Attachments
Picture 13.png
Picture 13.png (75.8 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
tshore

Postby tshore » Wed May 19, 2010 9:47 am

Any ideas why I can't see the author's version from the director's pages? My conference organizer has been waiting over 3 weeks for me to get this working for them...
tshore

Next

Return to OCS Conference Support and Discussion