OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

COUNTER Compliance - R3 - Is OJS intending to support this?

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

COUNTER Compliance - R3 - Is OJS intending to support this?

Postby mickwillis » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:03 am

Hi,

A number of our institutions that take subscriptions from our equinox journals are asking for more detailed COUNTER stats. This is related to the release 3 compliance that is now available. Specifically institutions are interested in how many article views are related to their subscription.

Currently I assume the COUNTER plugin is at level 1. Is there any plan to move to release 3?

See http://www.projectcounter.org/code_practice.html for more information.

Thanks

Michael Willis
KMW Consulting Ltd - support for Equinox Publishing (www.equinoxjournals.com)
mickwillis

Re: COUNTER Compliance - R3 - Is OJS intending to support this?

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi Michael,

Nice hearing from you. We are indeed moving to COUNTER R3, and we're also planning on having COUNTER stats (among others, eventually) retrievable via SUSHI. See this list of bug reports for a fairly comprehensive overview of what we're working on. Some of this will be available in OJS 2.3.2 (we're going into release testing soon).

However, I'll stress that we've largely been developing this support somewhat in the black -- we understand how the report and SUSHI protocol are supposed to work thanks to the documentation, but we don't have any actual use cases ourselves to test against, particularly with respect to usability and completeness. Is there any chance you would be willing and able to help us test these features with a journal or two? It'd be the best way to ensure that COUNTER functionality works as expected for your journals.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby mickwillis » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:30 am

Dear James,

That is great to hear that you are developing the counter 3 stats as part of a new release. We would be happy to help test the compliance for the new version.

I have in the meantime altered the counter plug-in to capture articles views down to the user/subscription and article level. This allows us to provide stats. to our institutional access subscribers on their usage of the journals they pay to view and also provide information on the most viewed articles, etc.

Let me know if you have an early access of the development code that is in progress if you would like me to participate.

Thanks

Michael Willis
KMW Consulting Ltd - support for Equinox Publishing (www.equinoxjournals.com)
mickwillis

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi Michael,

We'll be sure to keep you in the loop!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby newone » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:14 pm

mickwillis wrote:I have in the meantime altered the counter plug-in to capture articles views down to the user/subscription and article level. This allows us to provide stats. to our institutional access subscribers on their usage of the journals they pay to view and also provide information on the most viewed articles, etc.

Are you willing to share the altered counter plug-in? I would be interested in using it.
newone

Return to OJS Development