OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Display a block only in frontend pages

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Display a block only in frontend pages

Postby mgscano » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:09 am

Hi there,
thanks to the latest implementation of jQuery, I was able to create a small images rotator block, so also my sponsors are pleased to see their logos on the site main page.

This is okay, and works smoothly, but I defintely need to get rid of that (and all the other fancy stuff), from the already slow backend pages, i.e. the Journal Manager, Editor, Section Editor, and specific roles involved in Peer Review and Editorial process.

It was quite easy to hide it to all logged in users, recycling the {userLoggedIn} Smarty function, but it's not what I want. I need to separate the "frontend" pages from the "backend" ones, does anyone has an idea I can work with?

Thanks
mgscano

Re: Display a block only in frontend pages

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:41 am

Hi Marco,

I believe you'll find the speed of the backend pages will be much faster in the upcoming OJS 2.3.2 release (see these bugs, for example). If you're willing to test our optimizations we'd greatly appreciate it -- just shoot me an email at jmacgreg at gmail dot com, and I'll let you know when testing begins.

Otherwise, I'm not sure how to accomplish what you want -- but I'll pass the question on to the developers, who should.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Re: Display a block only in frontend pages

Postby mcrider » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi Marco,

One way to do this is to pass Request::getRequestedPage(); from your plugin's display function to its template, and put a big if statement around the template's code, with something like
{if page != 'editor' && page != 'manager'...} (and any other pages you don't want displayed). This way, the plugin won't display if the user is on any of those pages. A similar example is the 'donationEnabled' variable in the Donation block plugin.

BTW, feel free to share your plugins in our plugin gallery :)

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Return to OJS Development