OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Disabling email contact for certain journal members?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Disabling email contact for certain journal members?

Postby MUN OJS » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:18 am

Our OJS setup is such that several authors to one of our journals are not suitable for being contacted due to a variety of reasons (deceased, international authors with language limitations, privacy, etc). We want to list the full editorial board on the Editorial Board page, but we only want some of the people listed to have an email contact link from their bio page.

Is there an easy way to do this? I am comfortable editing PHP files or Smarty templates, so it's no big deal if changes at that level are required.
MUN OJS

Re: Disabling email contact for certain journal members?

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi MUN OJS,

I don't think conditionally toggling the email icon display on/off is currently possible without a fair bit of coding -- you'd have to build a case in to test against, as there currently isn't such a case (display email: no; or fake email: yes, for example). If you do have development experience, I could forward this thread to a developer and they might be able to give you some pointers to start.

I know the folks at UNB removed the email icon for editors' Masthead biography pages across their entire site at one point, but have since restored it. To do so across the entire site (meaning across all journals on the one site, and for all board members) just remove the text

Code: Select all
{icon name="mail" url=$address}

from around line 78 (OJS 2.3.1) in templates/about/editorialTeamBio.tpl. You could then re-add email functionality for specific editors by adding email/contact information to their profiles' biography field, but that's not a great workaround.

http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4508 may also be of interest. Further comments welcome; and if you think the above toggling option might be broadly used, it can always be filed as a bug report.

Cheers,
James

(As an aside, I'm curious as to who this is -- I did an OJS workshop at MUN a number of years ago while working for UNB, for Irene Whitfield and a few others. I'm happy to see OJS being used more extensively at MUN!)
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Technical Support