OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Bilingual feature unstable

OCS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page. While these are OJS-specific, the OCS codebase is similar enough to OJS they should be of help. There is also an [url=http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs_documentation[/url]OCS Documentation[/url] page with some more general documentation that might also be of interest.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OCS Technical Support subforum.

Bilingual feature unstable

Postby nstuart » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:45 am

I am involved in the Canadian ETD and Open Repositories Workshop and
we are using the OCS for the website. This conference is bi-lingual
and we are finding the French side very unstable. We will upload the
French text and save it and the next day it reverts to English. We are
now abandoning the French side altogether and going to put up
bi-lingual info on the English site. Could you look into the causes of this instability. I believe the
technical person at Carleton has also tried to get some support for this. His name is Kevin Bowrin and his
email is Kevin_Bowrin@carleton.ca Thank you. Nancy Stuart, nstuart@uvic.ca
nstuart

Re: Bilingual feature unstable

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi Nancy,

We can possibly give some suggestions or troubleshoot the issue, but we need more detail: OCS version, and PHP version would be helpful. A more descriptive, exact explanation will also help: are the French texts disappearing altogether, or is it a matter you not being redirected to the French if you had previously chosen it? Are you sure that this isn't a browser issue, or an issue of using different computers?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby Sharon » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:34 am

Hi James,

My name is Sharon Reeves and I'm also involved in the development of this workshop website although I'm not at U Vic. I work at Libary and Archives Canada and there are also folks at Carleton University working on the site so the problem with the unstable bilingual feature spans more than one institution.
I'm not sure if Nancy got back to you after you sent her the response below but I'm quite anxious to see if the problem with the French interface can be easily resolved.
The problem: in January and February I put new French text in the French interface of the website. Each time I logged off then immediately checked to make sure the French text was there. The day after I would go to the French interface of the website and the French text would be gone and replaced by the text from the English interface. The same thing happened at Carleton. (This was causing us lots of lost time and we finally decided to shut off the French interface entirely and include the French text on the English interface. This has not proven to be a good solution).
Could you let me know if the French interface has been used very much and, if so, if others have had the same problem? Do you know if there is a fix for it?

Thanks very much,
Sharon, sharon.reeves@lac-bac.gc.ca
Sharon

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:23 pm

Hi Sharon,

I haven't heard of this kind of problem before, and Nancy hasn't followed up with answers to my questions (OCS version; server/PHP information; etc.). If you could send me that information (and a URL as well), we can take a closer look. However, if this is an urgent issue and you need a speedy resolution, we do offer a commercial support option, which would be much faster than a back-and-forth on the forum. More information is available here (look at the Support Options PDF; there's a section on custom development and support).

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby tshore » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:55 pm

I also experienced problems with French on one of my sites:

http://www.devpsych.ca/

It's mostly fine. We ran into some trouble with Sponsors and with Abstract Submission in French. People also found it confusing that you could choose the language in two different places on pages with forms.
tshore

Return to OCS Development