OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

How to Add New Role and Change the Current Role

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

How to Add New Role and Change the Current Role

Postby bimota » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:15 am

Hello,

Under Home>User>Journal Manager, I intend to add a new role called "Advisory Board" in addition to the existing roles, such as "authers", "layout editors" and "reviewers". I also want to change the name of "subscription managers" to "production managers". I am wondering what documents are involved and should be made changes. I tried make change to the templates/managers/people/enrollment.tpl files and the locale/en_US/locale.xml files. I believe I miss something here, because when I click each of them and just got all the users as the result, but the fact is that i did not even assign each of them to any user!

Therefore, what documents or functions I should also get to? I truly appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Bimota
bimota

Re: How to Add New Role and Change the Current Role

Postby bimota » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:07 pm

To be clarified, I am trying to creat a new row rather than assign any role to a new user. Is it possible at this stage? Thanks so much

Bimota
bimota

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi Bimota,

To change the nomenclature "Subscription Manager" to "Production Manager", simply to a search and replace through your locale files (which are listed in http://pkp.sfu.ca/files/docs/translatin ... tingManual). You will also have to run dbscripts/xml/data/email_templates.xml if you make any changes to your email templates.

Adding a new role to OJS is definitely not a trivial process. What are you trying to do, exactly? Are you sure you can't just use the Masthead pages to manage your Editorial/Advisory Board?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby bimota » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:44 pm

Thanks for answer, James. My supervisor wish to have that kind of role, but after taking a deeper look at that role, I found it unnecessary to create that role. Instead, that role spans a number of functions of existing roles. Therefore, I would add the exisiting role(s) to the users who was originally designed to be categorized to the new role. ANyways, thank again James. Well, I may need to create a role in OJS one day :)
bimota

Postby birgseva » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:07 am

Hello
I suggest you in future releases make the creation of new roles possible.
As an example we are having a special issue with a guest editor.
Should be a role i guess?

Best
Birger
birgseva

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:25 am

Hi Birger,

I would suggest possibly checking whether enrolling your guest editor temporarily as an unassigned Section Editor, and then assigning all items for that issue to him, would work. If you see any way that this would not be optimal, please do let us know.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby nevermind182004 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:28 am

hello james,

I'd like to know also if its possible to add a customize role like "Accounting Role" where all subscriptions and payment settings will fall on their turf. Because we don't want to give to the accounting guys the role of the Journal Manager, which can tweak the settings of the journal sites..
nevermind182004

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:27 pm

Hi nevermind182004,

I believe the Subscription Manager has access to all subscription and payment pages, at least in OJS 2.3. The only thing they can't do is actually en/disable subscription support itself.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby nevermind182004 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:34 pm

oh i see. well in 2.2.2, subscription manager doesnt have the payment module yet. thanks ;)
nevermind182004

Return to OJS Technical Support