OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Removing Users is Vital!

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Removing Users is Vital!

Postby janer » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:02 am

Hi,
I have picked up from previous correspondence that it is impossible to remove a user once registered. That means that my system is going to gradually drown under the weight of WebBot registrations. I have been systematically clearing them (ie Removing) weekly - usually at least 6 a week. I hadn't realised that Remove didn't mean what it said, until I recently wanted to enroll a user as an Author, and discovered all those wretched WebBots in the list of names that was presented.

Please, please provide a way of permamently getting rid of names that have no other links inside the site - just the thought of them all still lurking there gives me the heebie-jeebies, but the thought that they will just accumulate is terrible!

Many thanks

Janer
janer

Re: Removing Users is Vital!

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:34 am

Hi Janer,

You can delete users permanently using the Merge Users feature as either a Site Admin or a Journal Manager (more info available here).

I do agree that there should be a batch merge kind of feature though: I've reported this here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4857. Please feel free to CC yourself for future updates.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby janer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:03 am

Dear James,

Please could you explain how 'merging' actually gets rid of an unwanted registration by a web-bot! What do I merge it with - and doesn't that still leave me with a mangled entry on the list that I still don't want? Do I then start merging these merged entries and so on??

I am extremely disappointed having followed your link below that the decision is to defer this feature in the next upgrade - I am still having to 'Remove' up to 5 spam registrations every week - but I know they are still there!! Doesn't your colleague understand this particular problem - there should deinitely be a DELETE feature never mind merging because there is absolutely no way I want these spam entries on my lists!! Could you ask him to rethink please?

Many thanks

Janer
janer

Postby asmecher » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:26 am

Hi janer,

The "merge users" tool will not leave garbled entries in the database -- it removes the user entirely, transferring any assets (e.g. submissions) to another user you specify, i.e. yourself.

The batch merge/delete was deferred because we had already entered the testing and translation update processes. In the meantime, the fastest way to remove large numbers of accounts is via a database tool like phpMyAdmin.

To prevent spam registrations, I'd suggest using CAPTCHA testing -- see your config.inc.php (or search this forum) for more information.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby michael » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:06 pm

Hi Janer,

You can also remove/merge multiple users using the command-line version of merge users. For example, if you create an account called 'spam' to use as a catch-all account for merging other accounts into, you can use the command-line tool as:

Code: Select all
 php tools/mergeUsers.php spam someaccount

This would merge and remove 'someaccount' and associate all its db records with the 'spam' account.

You could extend this with a shell script once you've identified all of the spam accounts:

Code: Select all
!#/bin/bash

php tools/mergeUsers.php spam someaccount1
php tools/mergeUsers.php spam someaccount2
php tools/mergeUsers.php spam someaccount3

Cheers,
Michael
michael

Postby RickMath » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:27 pm

Hi Janer

I hope the PKP people do not mind me entering some comments in this post. I do not mean to confuse the issue.

I had a continuuing problem with BOT created users.

Do you have access to your MySQL database? If so you can remove the users here. Don't forget to also remove the user settings for the same User_IDs.

I got rid of them all using my approach but you could also use the approaches the Alec has suggested.

Either way I would suggest that you turn on or have your adminstrator turn on the captcha feature in the config.inc.php file. Since I did this a week ago there have been no BOT invasions. I like you was getting several every day. See some of the other posts on captcha. I have it implemented in both OJS and OCS.

Hope this helps you for future invasions.

Rick
RickMath

Postby asmecher » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:55 am

Hi all,

Thanks, Rick -- and FYI, the next release of OJS (version 2.3.2) will allow for merging of several accounts at a time.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby janer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:21 am

Thanks to all - the limit of my personal IT ability is to turn on Captcha which I have now done with fingers crossed that everything else still works OK!

Cheers
Janer
janer

Postby janer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:26 am

Further thanks to all - Captcha works - magic - so at least I don't get any new spam registrations now, and have to waste time trawling through the lists to disable them.
Best wishes

Janer
janer

Postby janer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:10 am

Hi All - disppointment now! I have not only got rid of spam registrations, I have got rid of all of them - nobody could register because the captcha function didn't actually work - nothing appeared in the captcha box on the registration page only a little red cross!

So I have had to turn captcha off again, and am waiting for the web-bot invaion to start again.

Please could anybody offer me a fix for this - doesn't captcha work with version 2.2.1?

Many thanks
Janer
janer

Postby RickMath » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:02 am

Janer

I had a similar problem at first. It turned out to be the font location. Have you checked the path? Read through my post here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5610

I have had the captcha working consistently since in installed the fonts in a folder under my OJS path.

Hope this helps. I know how frustrating these little issues can be.

Rick
RickMath

Postby timmcgeary » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:45 am

I'm of the same position that you've got to be able to remove users out of the database, but I do understand the need to transfer submissions from authors. However, getting rid of users with no record attached to them should also be an option.

In that case, and in my case, I have a brand new installation that I created a couple of test users to see if the LDAP authentication was working. The tests were inconclusively because the error messages were not logical with a bad password. So I went into the user and user setting table and deleted my account, the only account besides the admin, so I could try again. But alas, for some reason, my account is still hanging around the database somewhere.

So... can someone tell me all of the places in the database I need to purge all instances of a user to get rid of them? I do have a DB interface (webmin) that I can use to swiftly maneuver through the database.

I'll search, then post in another place the issues I'm having with the LDAP authentication.

Thanks,
Tim
timmcgeary

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion