OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

w3c compliant

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

w3c compliant

Postby goodgrief » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:17 am

i am VERY inept at this but how do i make the whole journal look compliant to the latest UK disability laws - i.e. when you increase the text size it doesnt all get messed up but just appears as larger font? its call w3c or somehting here.

yours very inept and really thrown in the deep end here
goodgrief

Postby asmecher » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:10 am

Hello goodgrief,

We've checked OJS 2.x for W3C HTML compliance, and other than a few typos that are probably hanging around in the more obscure pages, it passes. Increasing the font sizes a large amount will cause Firefox to render things a little strangely, but since OJS uses Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) changing the layout for any sort of compliance should be easy.

I'm not specifically familiar with the UK disability guidelines but OJS was written with usability tools in mind and should be ready. We'd appreciate any feedback on this if you run into limitations.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

access

Postby goodgrief » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:47 pm

thank you. i really am a rookie here. i guess the fact that my computing department have only given me access to the system as a site adminsitrator and journal manager means i cant actually change anything like navigation bars etc etc and the style sheets?

one of the w3c here means nothing can shift on the page - it must look the same essentailly as the normal text size and i am guessing this means changing some script etc.

i am not a computing person (as you may have guessed)......done a bit of front page but thats it - do i stand a chance with this?

thank you
goodgrief

Postby asmecher » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:01 pm

Hi goodgrief,

Here's what I'd suggest:
  • As Site Administrator, go into Site Settings. Choose your journal (I'm assuming you're only hosting one) in the "Journal redirect" pulldown, and press "Save" at the bottom of the page.
  • As Journal Manager, go into Setup, step 5. Under "5.6 Journal Style Sheet" you can upload a custom stylesheet.

The stylesheet you upload can override the existing styles. OJS uses stylesheets exclusively for layout, so you should be able to accomplish pretty much anything this way.

If you're not experienced with CSS, you can expect a pretty steep learning curve, and Frontpage probably isn't going to be much help. It might be useful to get assistance from someone who is familiar with CSS.

Good luck!

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

css question

Postby goodgrief » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:47 am

Hello there

I have at last got access to the common.css file to edit as i need to for our access requiremnets. I am learning these things - but i need help. I want to remove the right hand side bit (unfortunately) with the search and info for readers.....but i cant find it on the common.css - i can alter the font size and colour (hurrah) but not delete it - can you please indicate where this is on the css? thank you..also i dont want to lose teh link back to the OJS.

goodgrief.
goodgrief

Postby asmecher » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:09 am

Hi goodgrief,

I think the best way to be rid of the sidebar would be by modifying the template responsible for displaying it, rather than hiding it with CSS. Edit templates/common/header.tpl and find the following lines:
Code: Select all
<div id="sidebar">
        {include file="common/sidebar.tpl"}
</div>
Delete these lines and the sidebar will disappear.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby goodgrief » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:11 am

Hello there

thank you for all your help so far. We tried your suggestion and this happened...we got a blank screen - it all went - woosh!

I have had to reload the original files and then copy across your css to get
the site to as it was before. Changing the header.tpl file just breaks
everything and I can't see why.

can you suggest why this may haev ahppened. We only removed the line of code you indicated. we are back to where we were before.

thanks
goodgrief

Postby asmecher » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:49 pm

Hi goodgrief,

Two things to look into -- you may need to ask your server admin to look into them:
  • Make sure the cache/t_compile, cache/t_cache, and cache/t_config directories (and their contents) can be written by the webserver. (If you're running a version of OJS older than 2.1, those directories are templates/t_compile, templates/t_cache, and templates/t_config, respectively.)
  • Check your server log for error messages.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support