OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Ordering presentations by last name

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Ordering presentations by last name

Postby sstanzak » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:40 am

I'm a bit befuddled about how OCS orders papers on several different pages. On the "Presentations and Authors" page, for example, the presentations seem to be ordered randomly, as they are not organized by ID, paper title, and certainly not by last name. The same thing goes for the "Schedule" page; I have several papers being given at the same time and can't control the order they appear in! I have tried sorting the names by author in the director page, which works only there. I have also tried using the up and down arrows in the "order" column, but that doesn't seem to do anything as far as I can tell. Is there a way to order presentations in both the "Presentations" and "Scheduler" page?
sstanzak

Re: Ordering presentations by last name

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:30 pm

Hi sstanzak,

Can you tell us which version of OCS you are using? You should be able to control the ordering of both those lists. The schedule should be orderable in the Scheduler, while the Presentations and Authors, which is ordered by default by the order in which presentations are accepted, should be orderable from the Presentations page, as you say.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby sstanzak » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:58 am

I am using version 2.3. I'm not sure if it is a problem with the upgrade or something I've done, as I hadn't tried to order names before I upgraded. The order buttons in the presentations page just doesn't do anything and it doesn't look like I've modified submissionsAccepted.tpl, so I don't think it's my fault!

In the scheduler, I don't even see a way to order presentations that occur at the same time. I was able to "hack" the scheduler by giving each event a time in the order I wanted them, and then hiding the time for presentations. I then gave each special event a time. It looks great but is certainly not ideal! Here is what I mean:

http://www.indiana.edu/~medieval/sympos ... f/schedule

Best,
Steve
sstanzak

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi Steve,

I am using version 2.3. I'm not sure if it is a problem with the upgrade or something I've done, as I hadn't tried to order names before I upgraded. The order buttons in the presentations page just doesn't do anything and it doesn't look like I've modified submissionsAccepted.tpl, so I don't think it's my fault!

Yep, I've replicated this; definitely a bug, thanks! I've reported it here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5169. Please feel free to CC yourself to it for future updates.

In the scheduler, I don't even see a way to order presentations that occur at the same time. I was able to "hack" the scheduler by giving each event a time in the order I wanted them, and then hiding the time for presentations. I then gave each special event a time. It looks great but is certainly not ideal! Here is what I mean:

You're correct: there's no way to order presentations more fine-grained than by start time, author, location, track or title. I've submitted a "manual sort" option as a feature request: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5168. Please feel free to CC yourself to that request for further updates.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby sstanzak » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:09 pm

Again, thank you for all your help. It's gratifying to know that all these problems are bugs and not caused by my mucking with the code!

Best,
Steve
sstanzak

Postby sstanzak » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:11 pm

OK, I've implemented the changes and tested them. They arrow buttons worked! It took a very long time to organize everything one-at-a-time though. It will be nice when the drag and drop feature is enabled.

Is there a way to include the author's affiliation in the presentation (or the schedule page, or the abstract) page? I've tried many things using the authorindex.tpl as a guide, but I think the code is beyond me.
sstanzak

Re: Including affiliation

Postby roxanneoconnell » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:36 pm

I, too, would like to see affiliation in the Program once the scheduler has created it.

ALSO... a funny thing is happening when a time slot has more than four presentations in it:

I am using the Special Event item to create the Session #: Session Theme Title and I have selected the option to have the Special Event show up within the time slot used for the papers. In all but two sessions, everything looks fantastic. However in two of the sessions, where more than four papers are scheduled, one of the papers (usually the last one scheduled) shows up ABOVE the special event. Is this fixable somewhere?

See: http://papers.viscomm.org/ocs-2.3.3-1/i ... f/schedule
roxanneoconnell

Return to OCS Technical Support