OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Development - Stable Release

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Development - Stable Release

Postby nef » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:17 am

Hi
On your download page http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs_download you group the releases under "Current Development Release" and "Current Stable Release". Does it mean that the development releases are not stable?
Cheers
Niels Erik
nef

Re: Development - Stable Release

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:20 pm

Hi Niels,

That terminology is a bit fluid. We'll be releasing OJS 2.3.2 in the next month or two, at which point we'll consider 2.2.x as end-of-line; 2.3.2 as stable; and 2.3.3 onwards as development. That said, we do know a large number of people using the -devel line in a production environment, but this probably requires a bit more diligence when it comes to keeping an eye on bugs, etc. We try and keep up with bugs in the -devel line and get the critical ones as fast as possible.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jamief » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:32 am

I am working with the development release, without any serious problems. But if I had to choose, I would do it in the following way:

If you have an exisiting OJS (stable) stick with that. Don't upgrade until 2.3.X is stable. Then and only then, make the jump by creating a parallel version 2.3.X to ensure the upgrade was successful before going live.

If you are starting a new installation of OJS from scratch, I recommend getting on board with 2.3 and then you only have to deal with minor upgrades.

If you are going to do some significant hacking of the core template files, definately use the 2.3.X version because there are major changes in the organisation of files there, and an upgrade would be a nightmare in terms of the template files, many of which have been relocated to a new location: /lib/pkp/templates. Others have not. And if you are doing significant hacking, then the bugs won't bother you because you are already hacking away in php!
jamief

Postby julesblake » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:34 pm

Hi James,

Any further information about the release date of OJS 2.3.2? Any info appreciated.

Thanks,
Jules
julesblake

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:14 pm

Hey Jules,

We're currently going through testing and translation updates for OCS 2.3.1, which should be finished in a week or two. After that, we'll start up the OJS 2.3.2 testing/translation process, which normally takes a few weeks. If you're up for testing, just let us know!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby ams.jour » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:07 am

Hi James

I found, Current Development Release (July 21, 2010; http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs_download ) of OJS 2.3.2-1 is availble for download. Just let me know which one is stable version OJS 2.3.2-1 OR OJS 2.3.2 ?

Thanks
-AMS
ams.jour

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:32 pm

Hi AMS,

OJS 2.3.3 will actually be considered stable. It hasn't been released yet, although we are going through internal testing now. We should have a public release candidate to test shortly -- keep an eye on the forum for an announcement if you would like to help with testing. It will hopefully be released in early September.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby coblej » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:34 am

Am I correct that, at this point in time, version 2.2.4 is still considered the current stable release of OJS? That's what it appears to say on the download page.
--Jim
coblej

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:16 am

Hi Jim,

Yes, that is correct.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby ams.jour » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:08 am

Hi James

For OJS 2.3.3 (supose to be stable version) release, which expected in this month, please inform this through this forum too.

-AMS
ams.jour

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:36 pm

Will do! There will be a site-wide announcement.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby lightshadow306 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:52 am

Will it be released soon? I hope it will solve the
Latexrender plugin problem.
lightshadow306

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi lightshadow,

Could you point me to the latexrender problem you're talking about? I'm not sure whether the problem is in OJS or the plugin itself, but I don't mind investigating and getting back to you.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Development