OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Modifying a submission

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Modifying a submission

Postby otache » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:21 am

Hi,
First, thanks to the PKP Team for the great tools you provide!
I've used OCS 1 for the management of a conference last year, and I'm now discovering version 2.1. From the tests I have made so far, it seems to me the author of a paper is not able to upload a new version once he has completed a submission: he has to create a new submission which would replace the first one. Am I right, or is there a way to replace the uploaded file in the first submission ?

I have another question not related to the first one. I'm new to Smarty, so I don't know where the 'url' function looks for the URL it has to generate. I've found the definition of the function in TemplateManager.inc.php, but it didn't help me much for the moment. I would be grateful if someone could help a bit to understand this mechanism.

Thanks!

Olivier
otache

Re: Modifying a submission

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:46 pm

Hi Olivier,

Regarding your first question: authors can return to their Active submission page, and depending on what stage of the review process their submission is on should be able to upload a revised submission from the submission's Summary page. They will not be able to do this while the submission has a reviewer assigned to it, as this would confuse the review process.

Regarding the second question: what exactly are you trying to accomplish? My understanding of the url function is a little shakey, but in the meantime I've asked a developer to get back to you.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby mcrider » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:19 pm

Hi Oliver,

The TemplateManager::smartyUrl() function passes its arguments to the 'main' url function located in classes/core/Request.inc.php. There it determines whether to pass a url with pathinfo enabled or not (as determined in the config.inc.php file), attaches the path to the site's base url, and fills in any missing path variables (e.g. if the $journalpath parameter is null, the url function will automatically make it the current journal).

Hope that clears it up.. Let us know if you want any more assistance.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby otache » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:13 am

Hi James and Matt,

Thanks for your help.

In my test OCS installation, submissions are still open and the status of the paper is "awaiting assignement", still I cannot upload a new file in the Summary page. I had a look at the template that generates the Summary page (which is templates/presenter/submission/management.tpl if I'm right) and I can't see any possibility to upload a new paper, while it is possible for Supplementary Files. Am I missing something here?

Concerning my second question, I have no precise goal at the moment, but I thought it could be useful for me to understand a bit how url management works, since I will have to customize some links later.

Cheers,
Olivier
otache

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:34 am

Hi Olivier,

Apologies -- I actually got OJS and OCS conflated here. With OCS, you can upload new versions of a document from the Abstract and/or Paper Review pages (sometimes just labeled as 'Review'), not the Summary page. You won't be able to upload new documents while active review is being done.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby otache » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:02 am

Hi James,

Are your talking about the "Author version" field in the Review page? This is the only upload field I can see there.
My understanding was that this field is used to upload the final version of a document after the review, not before. If an author uses this field to upload a modified version before the paper deadline (for example if he has found a typo in the title of his paper...), the "Review version" is not changed (it is still the first uploaded file), which is not very clear for the review process...

Cheers,
Olivier
otache

Postby dkolin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi

I have the same question as Oliver above. In what is becoming a repeat problem, authors have trouble uploading articles and then complete the submission process without having uploaded any file. It would be great if they could upload this file at a later date after the submission is completed. Alternatively, authors sometimes email the editor the file separately, and it would be helpful if these could be added to the submission.

Thanks,
Dave
dkolin

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi Dave,

Which OCS version and submission method are you using?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby eddyzhang » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:11 pm

Hi James,

I have the same problem. My OCS version is 2.1.2-1, Release date is July 19, 2009. Do you have any idea how to modify a submission such as update the "Original file"?

Thanks

Eddy
eddyzhang

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi Eddy,

The Director can request that revisions be required, in which case the Author can upload a new file; or the Director can upload the new file themselves. However, if the submission deadline has passed, this does become an issue. See http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3233.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Re: Modifying a submission - problems uploading author version

Postby ramon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:10 am

Hello all,

We are using OCS 2.1.2.1 for one of our conferences.
Does this patch apply to it or is it already available?

We are experiencing the following problem, which seems related:
- Track Directors take the "Revisions required" decision
- Authors cannot upload new author version through the regular 'Review' page.
- Only Directors (and maybe Track Directors - haven't tested), registered as authors, are allowed to submit new author versions, which made us assume that users were not using the system correctly.

However, we have confirmed that the upload field is disabled for regular authors in our case.
Checking the Conference Timeline, the submission was closed on August 25.

This has caused lots of problems for track directors, and the single Director that is handling the event, as she has been manually receiving the submissions and uploading them.
ramon

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:37 am

Hi Ramón,

I can't replicate this in OCS 2.3. I suspect that if it was a problem it may have been fixed; before I get an install of 2.1.2 running, could you tell me a) how your Submission Process is set up; and b) which page exactly your authors are attempting to upload a file? A screenshot in the second case would be helpful, but not necessary.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby ramon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:32 am

Hello all,

A sysAdmin, using OCS 2.3.3.1 for his association conference, is claiming that authors cannot upload reviewed versions of the papers.
I'm not sure what the Director's decision was, I'm waiting confirmation on this matter.
However, he has modified classes/submission/author/AuthorAction.inc.php.

He changed line 315:
Code: Select all
if ($decision == SUBMISSION_DIRECTOR_DECISION_PENDING_REVISIONS) return true;

For:
Code: Select all
if ($decision[decision] == SUBMISSION_DIRECTOR_DECISION_PENDING_REVISIONS) return true;

How does this affect the review process?
ramon

Return to OCS Technical Support