OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Troubles with sending e-mails OJS

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Troubles with sending e-mails OJS

Postby rodrigogsilvestre » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:36 am

First of all, sorry my english, I'm a brazilian guy trying to write in English, all right? :D

Hi, I have problems with my OJS version 2.2.2, the application is not sending e-mails for the users.

The software is installed at a Debian OS, and it's configured to send e-mail by PHP function in the config.inc.php :

; Use SMTP for sending mail instead of mail()
;smtp = On

I have already installed SendMail in my server. I have to configure something?

Thanks!
Rodrigo Silvestre
rodrigogsilvestre

Re: Troubles with sending e-mails OJS

Postby netfunda » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:43 pm

Dear Rodrigo Silvestre,

The easiest and the fastest way to send emails is to use SMTP with service providers like gmail.com, yahoo.com etc. Please note the following:

Code: Select all
; Use SMTP for sending mail instead of mail()
smtp = On

; SMTP server settings
smtp_server = ssl://smtp.gmail.com
smtp_port = 465

; Enable SMTP authentication
smtp_auth = PLAIN
smtp_username = myemail@gmail.com
smtp_password = my_gmail_password

Thanks,
Rahman
netfunda

Postby rodrigogsilvestre » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:01 am

Thanks,

I'll try.
rodrigogsilvestre

Postby rodrigogsilvestre » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:32 am

Thanks!
It's works for me! :D
rodrigogsilvestre

Postby himanshu18in » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:06 pm

it do not work for me? what i do?
himanshu18in

Postby NaeemMajeed » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:23 am

Hi,

I tried the above mentioned settings for my google account (using the google applications mail service). The email won't go and I keep on getting the same error:

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 503 This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address. Please check your mail client settings or contact your administrator to verify that the domain or address is defined for this server. in E:\inetpub\vhosts\sajms.org\httpdocs\classes\core\String.inc.php on line 188
There was an error sending this email. Please check your mail log (/var/log/maillog).
OJS: There was an error sending this email. Please check your mail log (/var/log/maillog).

Please suggest some solution.
NaeemMajeed

Postby NaeemMajeed » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:55 am

And now I am getting this error instead of the above, after checking everything once again:

Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: unable to connect to ssl://smtp.gmail.com:465 (Unable to find the socket transport "ssl" - did you forget to enable it when you configured PHP?) in E:\inetpub\vhosts\sajms.org\httpdocs\classes\mail\SMTPMailer.inc.php on line 165
There was an error sending this email. Please check your PHP error log for more information.
OJS: There was an error sending this email. Please check your PHP error log for more information.
NaeemMajeed

Postby jmacgreg » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:39 pm

Hi NaeemMajeed,

It looks to me like your version of PHP does not have SSL support included. You can check to see whether your PHP supports SSL by checking the Extended PHP Info link, available from Site Administration -> System Information (the link is at the very bottom of the page). You can find a lot of information about enabling this on the web.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby mendesrocha » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:04 pm

netfunda wrote:The easiest and the fastest way to send emails is to use SMTP with service providers like gmail.com, yahoo.com etc.

The mail delevery of my OJS/SEER was not great. Some messages were not been delivered. Then, I decided to active SMTP Settings and we used our hosting service SMTP. Once we still had problems with mail delivering I changed the e-mail settings to Gmail SMTP.

Gmail SMTP delivery service is OK. But, an Editor related me the following problem:

From now on, all messages sent from OJS have the gmail address as the Header "From". So, when a user answer a message sent by OJS, it is anymore directed to the Editor personal address, but to the gmail address. Hence, the "Editor" has to open the gmail webpage to check for responses.

An alternative should be to filter these response in Gmail and redirect it to "Editors" personal address.

Best wishes,
mendesrocha

Postby mcrider » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:25 pm

Hi mendesrocha,

FYI, This is discussed over at http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6282.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby primozs » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Hello,

I am sorry, but I have problems with getting emails working with smtp gmail. The configuration I have is (from the OJS System Information page):

email
smtp On
smtp_server ssl://smtp.gmail.com
smtp_port 465
smtp_auth PLAIN
smtp_username username@gmail.com
smtp_password password
default_envelope_sender username@gmail.com
enable_attachments On
time_between_emails 3600
max_recipients 10
require_validation Off
validation_timeout 14

When I want to send email from OJS nothing happens. Well, after clicking send button it takes some time (looks like OJS is working something), but no mail sent.

I have OJS 2.4.2, PHP 5.5.5, IIS 6.0.

Can you please help me how to debug the issue?

Regards, Primož
primozs

Postby asmecher » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:18 pm

Hi Primož,

I would suggest working through lib/pkp/classes/mail/SMTPMailer.inc.php, particularly the mail() function, and adding debug output to ensure that the process makes it all the way through without failing. If so, but if you're still not receiving emails sent by the system, then gmail is rejecting the email post receipt for some reason.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby primozs » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:16 am

Hi Alec,

Thank you for help. I am not very good in php, so I have not tried jumping in the code (yet).

But I found the problem: I have not included openssl library as an extension in the php.ini. So the OJS has not been able to properly call gmail as it requires ssl.

Just in case others come to the same problem...

Bye, Primož
primozs

Postby jahathben » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:51 pm

I have been following up on the discussion thread since I have the same email problems. The emails are not sent. I gather from this and other threads I need to check the mail servers error log files. I am very new to OJS, & even server configurations. Can anyone please put me through as per how to pull up this mail error log files? Thanks.
jahathben

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi jahathben,

Unfortunately this is server-specific; I'd suggest contacting whoever runs your servers. Let them know that your mail delivery configuration for OJS is in a file called config.inc.php in the OJS installation directory.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support