OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Suddenly Errors!

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Suddenly Errors!

Postby soj » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:48 am

Reposted to a new topic. I am suddenly getting a pile of errors. It's pretty much crippled the whole site.

According to my web host, the php version is 4.4.1 on a FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE server. We are using OJS 2.0.2 . Since we have not modified the site at all since launch 3 weeks ago, I suspect something has changed on the server side.

Any thoughts or help would be very welcome indeed!

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/ejssmorg/public_html/ojs/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 840

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ejssmorg/public_html/ojs/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php:840) in /home/ejssmorg/public_html/ojs/classes/session/SessionManager.inc.php on line 56

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/ejssmorg/public_html/ojs/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php:840) in /home/ejssmorg/public_html/ojs/classes/session/SessionManager.inc.php on line 56

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/ejssmorg/public_html/ojs/classes/core/DataObject.inc.php on line 45

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/ejssmorg/public_html/ojs/lib/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php on line 657

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/ejssmorg/public_html/ojs/classes/core/DataObject.inc.php on line 45

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/ejssmorg/public_html/ojs/lib/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php on line 657

...more messages snipped

frantically, soj
Last edited by soj on Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
soj

Postby asmecher » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:29 am

Hi Soj,

This was probably caused by a PHP upgrade. The most recent releases of OJS 4.x and 5.x have started to complain about reference problems where previous versions just carried on. Try suppressing warning messages -- either change the error_reporting directive in your php.ini configuration file, or use the ini_set function to do the same thing (see http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/function.ini-set.php). These issues have been corrected in the CVS version of OJS and the next release, which is due at the end of the month.

Once the warnings are suppressed, the system should behave normally.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Thanks

Postby soj » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:15 am

Thanks, Alec! I was afraid of that. Is there any way to turn off the warnings from within the OJS application? Otherwise I'm at the mercy of my hosting provider Level II techs.

soj

Update: Maybe I can change the value via htaccess???

Update2: Yes! I placed the following into an htaccess file and it worked:
php_value display_errors 0

based on:

To change in .htaccess (works if php is used as apache module), add:

php_value php_option_from_list VALUE

To change the value in a php-script do:

<?php
ini_set("php_option_from_list",VALUE);
?>

VALUE is 0 or 1

Also of possible use to others:

Here is the code to view your php.ini file from your browser. Create a new page and paste just these 3 lines of code inside it, and call it phpversion.php or something like that.

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

Alec, if you have an email distribution list for upgrades, please add:
webmaster@ejssm.org

Thanks again!
soj

Postby asmecher » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:12 pm

Hi Soj,

FYI, there's a registration page where you can sign up for security notices and news about OJS. See http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/register.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby msabba » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:30 pm

Alec, your httacess solution worked for me, thank you very much!!!!!!
msabba

Postby soj » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:42 pm

thanks - I've registered!
soj

Postby sjones » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:50 am

[quote="msabba"]Alec, your httacess solution worked for me, thank you very much!!!!!![/quote]

I had the same problems crop up just yesterday (hosting via Dreamhost...still not sure if they did something or what). The other htaccess solution didn't work, but thanks to help from jeremy h. putting the following in a .htaccess file did the trick:

php_flag display_errors off

Sj
sjones

Super thanks

Postby lodd » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:00 pm

I've been searching for a solution to this problem of php 4.4 attacking adodb for nearly 10 days now. Finally found it in the .htaccess file solution. Thanks for that brilliant bit of coding.

Thanks a bunch.

P.S. I registered ESPECIALLY to post here and thank you guys. Now that i'm here though, it seems to be an interesting forum. I'll wander around a bit more. Thanks again.
lodd

Return to OJS Technical Support