OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Problem with Greek characters

Open Harvester Systems support questions and answers, bug reports, and development issues.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome.

Problem with Greek characters

Postby cyb3rb0ss » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:58 am

Hey everybody.

At the moment I am working on Harvester and especially in retrieving information from other repositories and the problem that I am facing with is the following:

When I have english characters everything works fine. No problem with repositories that have english characters.
On the other hand when I am trying to retrieve GREEK characters, the harvester stops suddenly.
For example if I have 250 records to receive form a repository and the problem appears on the 6th record, then stops at the 6th record and stops receiving the other 244 records.

My purpose is to fix that problem.
One idea would be somehow to find what (greek) characters are causing the problem and try to solve the problem by fixing or replace them so the procedure will proceed normally without stopping.

Could you please inform me and help me in which folders and *.php files have I to look in order to find a solution?
It is a very important prob that I have to solve.

Thank you.
cyb3rb0ss

Re: Problem with Greek characters

Postby asmecher » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:29 am

Hi cyb3rb0ss,

The first thing to establish is whether or not your data source is serving up invalid XML. Are you familiar with OAI requests? If so, I'd suggest fetching a few manually and checking their validity using an XML validator such as xmllint.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby cyb3rb0ss » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:58 pm

I am newbie in the subject.
What does the XML Validator specifically? Is it checking something?
cyb3rb0ss

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:38 am

Hi cyb3rb0ss,

An XML validator will check to see that the XML document that the harvester is collecting from your data source is valid, i.e. that it doesn't contain any mismatched XML tags or invalid characters that would prevent it from parsing and loading the content. If there is invalid content, you'd be best off correcting it in your data source rather than trying to work around it with the harvester.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby cyb3rb0ss » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:10 am

I really appreciate your help.
I will be back soon for more help :)
cyb3rb0ss

Return to Open Harvester Systems Support and Development