OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Custom Issue Ordering Problem.

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Custom Issue Ordering Problem.

Postby bdgregg » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:40 am

All,

We believe that version 2.2.3 and 2.3.0 have an issue with "Custom issue ordering" of Back Issues.
We were hoping this was solved in 2.3.0 as we are trying this with our journal that has 70 years of back issues.

The first 3 Issues seem to order properly using the up and down arrows. :)

It is after the first 3 Issues listed that problem shows up. :?

When trying to move an issue up with the up arrow the issue jumps up two issues instead of one, unless it is in the 2nd or 3rd row(issue) in which it moves into the 1st and 2nd row respectfully as expected.

When trying to move an issue down with the down arrow the issue does not move, unless it is in the 1st or 2nd row in which it moves correctly to the 2nd and 3rd respectfully. But can not be moved any further downward using the down arrow.

So to see the problem you must have at least 4 Back Issues, but probably to get the best perspective of this you need to have say 10.

This does become very cumbersome especially in our case where we have currently about 163 issues and the system only displays 25 items at a time.

Might I suggest utilizing some sort of drag and drop instead of arrows here similar to what this site is suggesting: http://tool-man.org/examples/sorting.html if possible. And if not show all back issues or at least let us select the number of back issues to display so that we can order them within one screen. It's hard to move an Issue from say page 5 to page 1 let alone a pain to move them one issue at a time. This may be related to: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4010 but I wasn't sure, and I thought I also saw another bug listed (I can't find it again) and it was not reproduce-able and thus closed.

Our Issues are Labeled like the following and we wish to order them by this:
Vol. LXVIII, Núm. 201, Octubre-Diciembre 2002
Vol. LXVIII, Núm. 200, Julio-Septiembre 2002
Vol. LXVII, Núm. 194-195, Enero-Junio 2001
etc.

Thanks,
Brian Gregg
University of Pittsburgh
University Library System
bdgregg

Re: Custom Issue Ordering Problem.

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:35 pm

Hi Brian,

I can't seem to replicate the ordering issue you describe, but I'm not using a whole bunch of data to test -- just five empty issues. We do have the jQuery in place to implement drag-and-drop lists (see here), which is in place in some lists but doesn't seem to be implemented for issue lists. I've reported thishere. You may be able to implement this yourself by looking at other locations where it has been implemented (one example being the Masthead, where you can order custom editorial titles; the relevant tpl file is templates/manager/groups/groups.tpl, I think), but we may have a patch soon.

There was also Bug 4768, which may be the other bug you were thinking of, but it looks like this was fixed already. Uh, and this one, which of course should also be fixed. Maybe try a template/data cache purge and see if the ordering problem persists. If it does, please let me know here. Of course, it might just be faster to wait for the above patch, or to look into implementing it yourself if you can.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby bdgregg » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:55 pm

James,

Given that I'm not that familiar with jQuery, I believe I'll wait for the patch as I would be guessing by way through it were as the patch won't. Unless you can point me to a particular example with code of course. :wink:

Please keep me posted - I'm assuming that this would be a patch PRE-2.3 and 2.3 right?

If I get adventurous I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Brian.
bdgregg

Postby bdgregg » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:57 am

James,

I see a diff file for http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4838 is listed. Can you find out if there would be a patch for 2.3.0 please?

I'm willing to give it a test on my end if needed.

Thanks,
Brian.
bdgregg

Postby bdgregg » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:49 am

All,

I've tested the Patch listed here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4838 against our test 2.3.0 version, I now see the cross when hovering above each row, however clicking and dragging does not work.

And for more information on the order up/down arrow issue. We have also found that you need to have at least 7 (probably best for 10 as indicated before) back issues to see the problem of issues jumping 2 at a time as the top 3 issues and bottom 3 issues on each page work as intended, it is the issues between these two groups that the jump 2 at a time when moving up and not able to move down rears it's ugly head. I've heard that it's been tested with 5 back issues and works fine, but can you confirm with at least 7 (preferably 10 or more) back issues that use 'Custom Issue Ordering' is or is not a problem?

Sorry for the persistence, but the journal manager for this journal won't go into production until this is fixed.

Brian Gregg.
bdgregg

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:29 am

Hi Brian,

Just doublechecking that both the drag and drop and up/down arrow issues have been resolved. (I couldn't replicate the up/down arrow issue, even with 10+ issues on hand).

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby bdgregg » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:46 am

James,

No - Just the drag/drop problem is resolved. But I did get some of the up/down ordering resolved - It now doesn't jump 2 or not move. But...

Up/down problem still has an issue when going between pages. Like moving #25 to #26 (when you have 25 issues per page) and vise versa #26 to #25.

Since you have 10 test issues, try setting your "items_per_page" to say 3 then try to move issues between different pages - particularly try to move an issue from the last page to the next to last page, that move here usually puts it at the top of Page #1 not where you would expect it to go. You can set this variable in journal manager-> journal setup -> The Look -> section 5.8, change "Items per page to 3" for you so that you should have 4 pages.

I believe the code snippet for the up/down for each page does not take into account the offset of what page you are on, if it is something isn't working quite right. You might want to check the moveIssue function in /ojs/pages/editor/IssueMangementHandler.inc.php.

In the end (for now) we here set our "items_per_page" to 200 to cover all 163 issues thus we eliminated the pagination and since drag and drop worked we were able to order our issues the way we needed.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
Brian.
bdgregg

Postby kdoubt » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:18 am

Someone new here.
I have an issue with ordering back issues after changing the title to the language other than English.
Have 2.2.4.0 (January 16, 2010 - 04:49 PM)
Four issues we have archived from the past.
A two language journal.
After I changed the title, inserted month, to Bosnian language, the order was mixed up.
When I attempted to re-order, the issues skip 2 rather than goes 1.
I worked with this and got the right order back in place except for the last year, where I cannot figure out to reverse two issues that are back to back and out of order where I did a one skip.
kdoubt

Postby mcrider » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:35 am

HI kdoubt,

I'm not sure I follow your problem exactly, but we think it is fixed for OJS 2.3. If you're having difficulty reordering the issues through the web interface, you can try modifying the issue order directly by editing the custom_issue_orders table in the database--Their order is determined by the 'seq' column in that table, and it should be fairly self explanatory how to modify that order.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Return to OJS Technical Support