OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

DOI information

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

DOI information

Postby mrich » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:16 am

For our new journal, we're planning on applying for a Digital Object Identifier (DOI) number. We will then generate a unique DOI number for each article we publish. This brings up several questions:

1. Is there a way to get this DOI number entered into the metadata for each article? If so, how can I do that?
  2. We would also like to participate in the CrossRef system, which allows a cool feature called forward linking. This feature allows one to embed an "articles citing this article" link in the article that will then fetch a page listing all articles citing that article. Is there a way to add such a link to the Reader's Tools, or will I have to embed the link within the HTML version of the article?

Best regards,

Mike Richardson
UW Radiology
mrich

Postby asmecher » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:47 pm

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately, article metadata is a fixed set; however, additional fields aren't too difficult to add if you're familiar with PHP. Have you seen the technical reference (http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/OJSTechnicalReference.pdf)?

Although neither of these features will make it into our next release (OJS 2.1, due at the end of January), both extensible metadata and reference tracking are features we've discussed and both will eventually be added to OJS. As always, we're happy to accept patches, feature requests, etc.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby mrich » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:36 pm

Thanks, Alec,

asmecher wrote:Unfortunately, article metadata is a fixed set; however, additional fields aren't too difficult to add if you're familiar with PHP. Have you seen the technical reference (http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/OJSTechnicalReference.pdf)?

I've looked at it, but not in great depth. I can see that it's time to RTFM in greater detail. :) I do have some experience with PHP, and will see what I can do.

asmecher wrote:Although neither of these features will make it into our next release (OJS 2.1, due at the end of January), both extensible metadata and reference tracking are features we've discussed and both will eventually be added to OJS. As always, we're happy to accept patches, feature requests, etc.

Those sound like fine future additions to OJS. Until then, I can get the forward linking to work by manually placing an appropriate link at a convenient spot in each article's HTML listing.

Regards,

Mike
mrich

Postby John » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:15 pm

I may be off on this, Alec, but in the Setup for OJS 2.x you will find...

4.2 Identification of Journal Content
Unique Identifier
Articles and issues can be tagged with an identification number or string, employing a registration system such as the Digital Object Identifier System (DOI).

[ ] Custom identifiers will be used to identify issues.
[ ] Custom identifiers will be used to identify published items.

Would this do it?
John

Postby asmecher » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:30 am

Thanks, John -- yes, that's correct. When custom identifiers are enabled, you'll be able to fill in free-form custom IDs for articles when scheduling them to an issue. Additionally, once in place, you can use these custom IDs to retrieve articles by constructing a URL e.g.: (Note: Link does not work, it's just an example)

http://www.my-ojs-journal.com/index.php ... Identifier

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

DOI's

Postby mrich » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:36 am

John and Alec,

Thanks for pointing that out. I had seen that setting and checked the box, but since we haven't scheduled anything for publication yet, I haven't yet seen any results.

However, our first issue should be going to "press" later this week, so I'll be eager to see it in action.

Regards,

Mike Richardson
UW Radiology
mrich

Postby osborne » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:47 pm

Can myCustomIdentifier contain forward slashes?
osborne

Postby asmecher » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:49 pm

Hi Martin,

No, custom IDs can't contain unescaped forward slashes; I'd suggest escaping them using standard URL-based encoding (e.g. / becomes %2F). See PHP's urlencode and urldecode functions, for example.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Scientific Journal Format

Postby ramon » Wed May 10, 2006 10:02 am

Dear Fellows,

Not sure if posting here is correct, but it seems to me that OAI-DC is too simple a set for Scientific Journals.

Are there any plans to implement specific harvesting formats, defined of course by a local community for their scientific journals and articles? (much like was done with Electronic Theses and Dissertations - ETD-MS or our brazilian MTD-BR)
ramon

Postby asmecher » Wed May 10, 2006 10:57 am

Hi Ramón,

The ability to extend the OJS2 metadata set (including the ability to define mappings with OAI) is a growing priority; we're aiming to add this to out next major release, OJS 2.2, which is as yet unscheduled. This feature will include considerable refactoring which will also improve OJS2's multi-language capabilities.

In the meantime, we'll be making an incremental release to include a number of bug fixes and refinements. We plan to release this in June.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support