OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

ISSN Number Question

General inquiries about the PKP.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, vgabler, barbarah, John

Forum rules
Feel free to post general inquiries about the PKP Here. We'll also post notes of interest from time to time. You may also want to check out the PKP blog.

ISSN Number Question

Postby pearscot » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:20 pm

Hello, even after searching for a bit I was not able to find any topics like this in General Discussion. If I have posted in the wrong area, please correct me.

Anyways the issue: Our school's academic journal, Idaho Yesterdays is working on publishing our second journal. The journal will be put in print as well as be available on our website. The question is this, do we need to go about getting a new and distinct ISSN for the online version? From what I understand only new works and works put under new publishers need to get a new ISSN. Basically, will Idaho Yesterday's need to have two ISSN numbers due to the fact that it is now in print AND online? I have checked several sites and none have had a specific answer. If there is anywhere you know that will help answer this or if you have any insight on this please help. Thanks very much.

Scott
pearscot

Re: ISSN Number Question

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:45 am

Hi Scott,

The ISSN folks themselves should have a concrete answer for you, but my understanding from a number of journals I have helped is that you should indeed obtain a separate online ISSN. Their website seems to spell it out pretty clearly:

When a publication is published in different media, with the same title or not, different ISSN and key titles shall be assigned to the different media editions.

http://www.issn.org/2-22638-ISSN-and-el ... ations.php.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to General Discussion