OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

comments on papers bug

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

comments on papers bug

Postby Paradisec » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:22 pm

We have been receiving a lot of spam from people posting comments with gambling websites and the like on the papers available on our site. I have therefore been attempting to deselect the option in the conference setup of allowing comments to be posted on papers but everytime I submit the changes I receive an error message stating that the database could not be updated. Is this a bug or is there something else I need to change before I can deselect this option? I have successfully made other changes to the conference setup but not this one.
Paradisec

Postby asmecher » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:42 pm

Hi Paradisec,

This is potentially a bug -- could you check your database server log and post the SQL that's causing the bug to this forum? (Ensure that you're not posting any private information.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby Paradisec » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:09 pm

Is this what you mean?:

SQL is ->update conference set program_insert_length='', abstract_deadline='2004-01-13', paper_deadline='2004-01-13', accept_deadline='2004-02-29', deadline_close='false', call_for_papers='true', present_single='true', present_single_length='0', present_single_time='0', present_other='false', present_other_desc='', present_other_length='', present_other_time='', present_multiple='false', present_multiple_length='0', present_multiple_time='0', use_tracks='false', call_notice='', ref_distinguish='true', submission_type='both', peer_review='online', review_blind='true', review_deadline='2004-03-17', num_reviewers='2', review_assign='automatic', review_email='We would be grateful if you would agree to act as one of the reviewers of conference papers originally presented at the PARADISEC workshop on September 30-October 1 2003. Please note the review deadline of 31st January. If you are unable to complete the reviews in this timeframe please email me as soon as possible. ', review_com='', review_rec='', review_anon='true', review_accept='Your paper has been reviewed and the reviewers have suggested some revisions before it can be accepted for publication. Please follow the link below to view the reviewers\' comments on your paper. After you have revised your paper please email it to me and I will upload the revised version to the conference site. The deadline for revisions is the 23rd of February, 2004. Please also take this opportunity to update your biographical details.', review_reject='', invited_papers='true', invited_email='This is to let you know of proposed arrangements for refereeing and online publication of papers to be presented at our workshop. Please advise any co-authors of your paper of these arrangements. This is an automatically generated email so please ignore the request for posting an abstract if you have already supplied one. Please use Turabian referencing style (example below) and submit your paper in PDF, HTML or plain text format. Referees will be asked to report on the paper by November 30, and you will be notified by 10 December 2003. Any amendments will need to be made by 2 January 2004. We will then publish the papers online as a refereed conference paper via this website by 31 January 2004. Smith, J. \"An Example Paper.\" Paper presented at Researchers, Communities, Institutions, Sound Recordings: Research Implications and Feasibility of Distributed Digital Archives for Ethnographic Sound Material in Australia\'s Geographic Region, University of Sydney, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia, September, 2003. Available at http://conferences.arts.usyd.edu.au/vie ... ?id=1&cf=2 Those who have already provided abstracts will find that we have already loaded them. Please make any amendments you wish, and add additional metadata on your presentation to facilitate the indexing of your paper. ', allow_comments='false', discussion='false', discussion_url='', discussion_email='' where id='2'<-
Failed to update database entry in conference table
Paradisec

Postby asmecher » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:41 pm

Hello,

The SQL statement appears to be valid, but what I was hoping for is an error message from your database log itself -- alternately, you can modify OCS temporarily to get the error statement.

To do this, try changing line 135 in admin/setup.php from:
Code: Select all
$db->query($query_txt) or die("Failed to update database entry in conference table");
to
Code: Select all
$db->query($query_txt) or die("Failed to update database entry in conference table" . $db->error());

Post the resulting error message here and I'll see what I can determine. Don't leave this change in place, as it may reveal private information.

Have you upgraded OCS from a previous version?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Paradisec » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:52 pm

sorry I'm not really sure how to do this.
Paradisec

Postby asmecher » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:36 pm

Hi Paradisec,

If you can make the one-line change suggested above, or have your webmaster make it, OCS will display a more informative error message instead of the one you saw before. This should give me enough information to debug the problem.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support