Thanks for the suggestion to disable the css. I did so but, unfortunately, that didn't help. After doing so I played around with several other things.
The description now shows. I deleted the existing description in Site Administration, saved the "Journal Settings" record, and then reinserted the journal description and resaved the record. However, the "View Journal," "Current Issue," and "Register" links still don't show in IE. Additionally, the following curious phenomena is happening regardless of the presence or absence of the custom css.
Remember that this is a shared installation but the journal in question is the only journal publicly visible on the site right now. In the "Hosted Journals" portion of "Site Management," the journals are listed alphabetically by journal title. We're actively working with six other journals and two of them are close to being ready to make visible--one above and one below the problematic title. Wanting to know what would happen, I made all of the journals visible. Those above this title in the alphabetical listing display just fine including the links. Those below this title do not appear at all--no title, no description, no links.
Wanting to know if this was just a fluke based on the number of titles, I moved the title in question to the bottom. All titles, descriptions, and links showed. I moved it to the top and nothing else showed--just the title of this journal and its description.
Things work properly in Firefox. I also occasionally use Safari and things are fine in that browser as well. IE is where the problem is occurring.
C. Jeffrey Belliston
Scholarly Communications Librarian
Brigham Young University