OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Can't get OJS to recognize es_ES

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Can't get OJS to recognize es_ES

Postby Sherman » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:56 am

In my dummy installation, I've put all of the es_ES files in their proper directories next to the en_US materials and changed the registry/locales.xml to have the following section:
Code: Select all
<locales>
   <locale key="en_US" name="English"/>
        <locale key="es_ES" name="Español (España)"/>
</locales>

OJS still won't recognize es_ES as a language. Is there anything I can toggle to check what it might be missing?
Sherman

Postby asmecher » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:47 am

Hello Sherman,

You need to install the new locale in the Site Administrator's Languages page; once this is done, it'll be available in the Journal Manager's Languages page. Once a language is installed and enabled in those places, it'll be available to users.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby Sherman » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:57 am

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the Languages page in the Site Administrator section doesn't give me an option to add es_ES (and please accept my apologies for the grungy formatting):
Install Languages
Installed Locales

* English (en_US)
Reload Locale

Install New Locales

Select any additional locales to install support for in this system. Locales must be installed before they can be used by hosted journals. See the OJS documentation for information on adding support for new languages.
No additional locales are available for installation.
Sherman

Postby asmecher » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:05 pm

Hello Sherman,

Check to ensure that your locales cache file isn't getting in the way; the web server needs to be able to write to this file. For OJS <= 2.0.2-1, the cache file is locale/cache/locales.inc.php. (If this is the case, you should be getting warning messages in your server log indicating that the file couldn't be overwritten.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Hmmn... is the es_ES package complete?

Postby Sherman » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:52 am

Yes, the locales.inc.php file is writeable, but I noticed that the \cache\ directory has an en_US.inc.php file. Is the es_ES localization package supposed to have that, too?
Sherman

Postby asmecher » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:21 am

Hi Sherman,

All files in locale/cache are automatically generated by OJS from their source XML files; you shouldn't have to worry about them, other than ensuring that PHP has sufficient permissions to administer these files.

The problem probably relates to locale/cache/locales.inc.php -- could you check to see if this file contains an entry for the Spanish locale? If not, try deleting it and trying again; the file should be generated again from the registry/locales.xml file.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Sherman » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:23 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure which of the steps I tried worked, but OJS accepted the Spanish localization!
Sherman

Return to OJS Technical Support