OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Split 2 submissions type in Presentations page

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Split 2 submissions type in Presentations page

Postby mendesrocha » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:46 am

Hi!

We have two submission types in OCS. One for individual authors, other for multiple author (we called it panel presentations).

However, in the Presentations pages these two types of submissions are placed all together.

Is it possible to split them in the Presentation page? Whereby an option view, where I can see the individual, and the panel presentations separately?

Thanks in advance

Renato
Last edited by mendesrocha on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
mendesrocha

Re: Split 2 types of submission in Presentations page

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:03 pm

Hi Renato,

When you say "two submission types" do you mean conference track types? Presentations should be grouped by track on the Presentations page.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Re: Split 2 submissions type in Presentations page

Postby mendesrocha » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:29 am

James,

Yes, they are grouped by track in the page. But what our editors want is to group them in the submissions types defined in the conference setup > step 2. submission > individual and multiple-presentation.

Att
Renato
mendesrocha

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Hi Renato,

Unfortunately, that is not currently supported. How would you have your papers grouped -- by track and within that by type, or by type only? Would it suffice if each presentation were marked as a panel/single presentation on the Presentations list, eg. by the word "Panel" or "Individual Presentation" automatically appearing beside each title listing?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby tshore » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:16 am

This is a pretty serious deficiency. For the last two years, I remedied this by adding "Symposia" and "Keynote" as tracks. That way, the panel presentations and keynotes were listed separately from the regular talks and posters:

http://www.imrf.info/2009/schedConf/presentations

Within each track, I also listed the talks first and then the posters. This was all SO MUCH WORK, that I now see why I put off upgrading to the latest version of OCS until this year.

I have now upgraded to your most recent release and I was VERY disappointed that this feature hasn't re-surfaced. Also, I can't see any way to distinguish between talks and posters? I also spent a lot of time customizing this feature - both in OCS 1 and 2. Here is how I would like it to look:

http://imrf.mcmaster.ca/IMRF/2007/papers.php

I would like to have further separated the talks from the posters in the "Refereed Papers" section, but I never got around to that. You can see whether it's a talk or poster once you are on the view abstract page. The separation of invited and refereed talks is important as is the separation of symposia. The other very important feature of this is when you click the symposium titles, you can see all of the talks that are part of that symposium. This was also carried over to the scheduler.

When, if ever, can we expect to see such features integrated into OCS 2.x? I need to know whether I should go ahead and start hacking away at the code, or if I should just leave it alone already, knowing that these ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL features are coming soon. I would be happy to share code (albeit for OCS 2.0) and meet with you in order to assist with this process.
tshore

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi Trudy,

Yes, sending us code samples, preferrably in unified diff patch format, would be the best way for us to evaluate and possibly incorporate changes you have made into our codebase. It's of course impossible for us to add these changes without seeing them, and probably difficult if not impossible for us to deal with 2.0 changes in 2.1.x, although it's still worth posting what you've done here. Please keep in mind that while we're interested in the solutions you have come up with, we have to develop our software with an eye towards future maintainability and flexibility.

You can always create a diff from your previous OCS installs and try to port your changes over to the newer version as well; and there's nothing to stop you from using previous versions (well, anything newer than 1.1.7, anyway -- that version and previous do include a security bug).

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby tshore » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:07 pm

I'm still desperate to have this functionality in the latest version of OCS, but I have no idea how to send code samples in "unified diff path format".
tshore

Postby asmecher » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:21 pm

Hi Trudy,

Depending on what kind of server you have, the patch tool may already be installed. (Most *NIX servers will have it in place.) For Windows servers, you can download patch and diff from http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/patch.htm.

You can use "diff" to generate a patch (a patch file and a diff file are the same thing) file, and "patch" to apply it to another installation.

To generate a unified diff file, you'll need a copy of the software as we shipped it, and a copy with your modifications. Then you can generate a diff describing the differences between them as follows:[code]diff -u -r -N /path/to/unmodified/version /path/to/modified/version > /path/to/patch-file[/url]...if /path/to/unmodified/version is your unmodified version, /path/to/modified/version is the path to the modified version, and /path/to/patch-file is the patch file you want to save. (-u specifies unified format; -r says to compare all directories and their contents; and -N says to include newly added files.)

Go through the saved file and remove anything related to cache files; you should be left with your modifications only.

More information is available at e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_(Unix).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support