OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Add a Page Link

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Add a Page Link

Postby magius » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:13 pm

Hi to all

I try to add a simple page for some link (Only with Header, navigation and footer)
--------------------------------
"The look"
-> 5.5 Navigation Bar

Label name= name_literal_of_link (checkbox)

URL = /index.php/ojs/link/link

I have create a directory in /templates/link

In this I put an file link.tpl

(and copy - paste - modify)

{**
* link.tpl
* Copyright (c) 2003-2004 The Public Knowledge Project
* Distributed under the GNU GPL v2. For full terms see the file docs/COPYING.
* Journal index page.
* $Id: journal.tpl,v 1.14 2005/08/03 19:40:30 alec Exp $
*}

{assign var="pageTitleTranslated" value=$siteTitle}
{include file="common/header.tpl"}

IN THIS POINT "The link" (<a href="www.test.com">LINK</a>)

{include file="common/footer.tpl"}
------------------------------------------------------------
But without success, someone can help me

TIA
and thanks to Team for this great system
magius

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:43 pm

Hello Magius,

If you want to create a link within OJS (e.g. http://www.mysite.com/ojs/index.php/myjournal/...) rather than outside of it (e.g. http://www.mysite.com/some/other/place.html), you'll have to create a Handler class for it (see, for example, pages/about/AboutHandler.inc.php). The Handler is responsible for loading templates etc. If you're creating a page with some simple, static content, I'd suggest placing it outside of OJS.

For more information on extending OJS, see the technical reference at http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/OJSTechnicalReference.pdf.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby magius » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:24 am

asmecher wrote:Hello Magius,

...... If you're creating a page with some simple, static content, I'd suggest placing it outside of OJS.

For more information on extending OJS, see the technical reference at http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/OJSTechnicalReference.pdf.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks Alec

I would want only a page with static content, but with the graphics of OJS (Header, with bar link and footer) type the Homepage (without Current)
I go to read the Tec Ref.... and try

Bye
Marco
magius

static page cheat

Postby soj » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:31 pm

We have a lot of content regarding guidelines for editors and reviewers which we wanted to post but found placing it all into Policies made for a very long html output page.

We needed a way to post static content on additional individual pages. This would a very useful feature to add to journal management setup fields in the future. Every Step should have one.

In the short term and having no time as yet to figure out how to properly do this, I discovered an HTML coder's cheat:

I can copy the source code (Firefox View Source) directly out of the page I want to duplicate for static content outside the OJS, paste into a new html file and modify the html. Header, navigation, sidebar all appear to stay intact and all the links seem good.

It's not an ideal solution, even for static content, but works in a pinch until I can figure out the "right"way to do this.

I also added straight html links sitewide into sidebar using templates/common/sidebar.tpl.

Yikes.

soj
soj

Postby asmecher » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:50 am

Hi all,

We've got plans to release a plugin for the upcoming OJS 2.1 that will allow journal managers to add arbitrary pages; hopefully this will satisfy some of your requirements.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Still in the works?

Postby soj » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:34 pm

Ola - is this plugin still in works now that the new release is out? Looking forward to it!

BTW, THANKS for identifying layout div endings. It's something I do myself, to keep from getting lost in css layouts, but it's first I've seen it in any open source apps. Very helpful to accidental coders like me. Nice touch!

soj
soj

Postby asmecher » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:28 pm

Hi Soj,

The new release was OJS 2.1, and the plugin unfortunately has been deferred -- however, once the dust settles around 2.1, I'm hoping to get a chance to code the plugin and release it separately. This would also make a good example plugin to get community contributions started. Stay tuned...

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support