OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OCS closed access to papers and registration

Are you a Director, Presenter, Reviewer or Conference Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OCS from an everyday user's perspective: conference managers, presenters, and directors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OCS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OCS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OCS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OCS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OCS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

OCS closed access to papers and registration

Postby matnet » Tue May 12, 2009 11:55 pm

Hi. I am trying to limit the access to the papers only to registred users. I set the Website management/additional conference/Require registration to attend the conference.
My timeline allows accepted abstract and accepted papers to be webposted after May 11 (so today they should be fine).

1: paper abstracts (but not PDFs) are available on the presentations page also if i am not logged in. Shouldn't it be that nothing is available to not registered users?

Now i have created a dummy reader account, i have registered it and marked as paid. In fact when i go to the registration page it says: You are already registered for this conference and your registration has been paid. Please contact the principal contact in "About" if this is in error or you would like to change your registration.
However when logged in I can still see only the abstracts and not the PDF. If i open an abstract, at the bottom it says: Conference registration is required in order to view papers.
2: Shouldn't it be that, once logged in i can have access to both avstract and PDF?

Thanks for looking into it
matnet

Re: OCS closed access to papers and registration

Postby jmacgreg » Thu May 14, 2009 12:12 pm

Hi Matnet,

Regarding 1: once published, abstracts will always be available on the site. Registration restrictions only apply to full papers.

Regrading 2: this is a shortcoming of the system that will eventually be addressed: essentially, users can't be registered automatically. When they 'register' for the site, a registration notification email goes (or should be going!) to the registration/conference manager to notify them of a new registration that needs to be processed. The Conference Manager will then have to manually add the user to the registration list, at which point they will be able to see protected content.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby matnet » Fri May 22, 2009 1:20 am

Thanks for your reply. How then should the conference manager (or the registration manager?) add the user to the registration list? I cannot find the way. Also, i see many people under the registration page that have already paid via paypal. Are we saying that the system do not consider them registered yet?

thanks
matnet

Postby jmacgreg » Sun May 24, 2009 6:11 pm

Hi Matt,

That's correct -- users who have paid by paypal have in fact not been automatically registered to your conference. You can add new registrants by logging in as a Conference Manager; clicking the Registration link; and then on the Registration page, clicking on Create New Registration near the bottom of the page.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby matnet » Mon May 25, 2009 2:16 am

Sorry James, i don't understand

The people of my conference have registered via the registration page, then they have been sent to the paypal page, paid and sent back to the conf website. As a conference manager I see them under the registration page. I see the list of people, the date they have registered and paid. Shall i assume that, although the website list them as registered, they are in fact not registered? In this case how i register them?
In fact when i try to create a new registration with one of these names on the list, the website tells me: This user already has a registration for this conference. So i guess these people ARE registered. But then why they cannot still access restricted content?

Recall that my problem is not with the registration process per se but with the fact that, if i set the option Website management/additional conference/Require registration to attend the conference, even these people that result registered cannot access these papers. I think it is a bug. Please let me know
matnet

Postby mugarurac » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:04 am

Hullo,

the access to presentations is a very big bug, i have manually paid for a user on the site ($0) , but the user can only see the presentation details, i.e. Author, Title of Paper/Presentation, and Time line for the presentation. There is a message that "Conference registration is required in order to view papers. ". No abstract or PDF is visible
mugarurac

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:33 am

Hi folks,

I can't replicate this myself, at least using a stock OCS 2.1.1 install. Can you tell me which version of OCS you are using? And although it's probably a little redundant to ask, can you ensure that your readers are not only registered but marked as paid; that the registration type they are registered as has not expired (click the Edit option for each type listed under Registration Types); and that they are also logged in?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OCS Conference Support and Discussion