OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Mainpage - Sidebar/Block Order

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Mainpage - Sidebar/Block Order

Postby nevermind182004 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:57 am

1. Hello, anyone knows how to arrange the order of the blocks on the sidebar? Like for example i wanna arrange DevelopBy, Help, Font, User and Navigation to different order?

2. And how about having a left Left Sidebar? where can i set my separate customized block to the left side? Currently i only have a rightsidebar(default).
(note: this is for the mainpage, not the journal pages where in step 5.6 can be customized..)

Many thanks,
Ryan
nevermind182004

Re: Mainpage - Sidebar/Block Order

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:57 am

Hi Ryan,

This can't be done currently, although we do have a bug tracker for it: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3930. Please feel free to CC yourself to that report for future updates.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby asmecher » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:12 am

Hi Ryan,

Just to add to what James is saying -- it is possible to rearrange the blocks in the database, but not via the user interface. If you want to try that, look at the plugin_settings table for journal_id = 0 (this will be the site level). There should be data in the database to serve as examples for other values of journal_id (these are the ones you can control on Journal Setup page 5). Just make sure to delete cache/*.php before trying to view the results, or you'll get cached values instead of the changes you just made.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby nevermind182004 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi Alec, Many Thanks! Just what i was looking for, i was looking at the OJS's .tpl,xml,css,php on where the arrangement of the blocks are being called, i didn't realize it's on the database.

Hi James, sorry i weren't able to tell that i was looking at the backend of the OJS to modify certain parts. :)

Back on topic:
Hi again Alec hope you can help me more on this.. I've run through the plugin_settings table and found these data. (* i'm using the 2007 sql manager) All i see in the journal_id are set of 0, 6, 7, 14. How will I set this if let say i want to Put the UserBlock on the 1st upper block on my sidebar? Will i arrange these values to ascending order? 0, 1, 2, 3, 4? I've provided a screenshot inside the plugin_settings. Many Thanks!

nevermind182004

Postby asmecher » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:25 pm

Hi nevermind182004,

For block plugins, the "context" setting defines where it appears (1 = left sidebar, 2 = right sidebar); "enabled" defines whether it will appear at all or not; and "seq" defines what order on the page they'll appear. Again, don't forget to flush the cache as noted above after modifying the values.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby nevermind182004 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:42 am

Hi Alec,

Thanks very much! I finally arranged my sidebar blocks at the same time having a leftsidebar on mainpage. Your a life saver! :lol:

Regards,
Ryan
nevermind182004

Postby hekutoru2kx » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:43 pm

Hi everybody! and thx James for the answer...

I found the plugin_settings files (there are three with the same name, different extentions frm, myd, myi), but i don't know how to edit it (or wich one should I edit). I'm not used to handle 'databases'.

I opened each file but it shows no order to me. So i need an extra hand here, jeje... thx again...
hekutoru2kx

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi hekutoru2kx,

You should be using a database management program to actually manage your database -- it sounds instead like you are trying to manage the database files directly. phpMyAdmin is a common database management tool; as is the mysql command-line interface. Your service provider should have more information how to interact with your database.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby hekutoru2kx » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:56 pm

Thx again James!

I'll look to it ;)
hekutoru2kx

Postby scarella » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:23 am

Hello,
and greetings from Nanterre.

in order to set some custom text and logos on the right column of the site (id 0 journal) page i tried to implement manually the CustumBlockManagerPlugin. But the attempt failed (here is one scrrenshot of my db content)...
Could you help me to find my way out this issue without alter the source code ?

thanks à lot and have nice day
Attachments
selection_020.png
mysql ojs db capture _ customblockmanagerplugin
selection_020.png (32.1 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
scarella

Return to OJS Technical Support