OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

PDF files not showing

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

PDF files not showing

Postby pierredv » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:46 pm

I have published my first issue. We use only PDF files at this stage. The abstracts are shown in the TOC, with a link to the abstract. There are however no links to the PDF files, only a link to "details" but no information when you click on that link. What have I done wrong?

I would like to add that I am currently adding back issues and "bypass" the peer review process, the copyediting process etc, sending the articles straight to scheduling once uploaded.
pierredv

Postby kstranac » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:32 pm

Can you post or send me your site URL? Which version of OJS are you using? Thanks, Kevin (kstranac@sfu.ca)
kstranac
Site Admin

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:31 pm

Hello,

It sounds like you haven't added any galleys to your submissions; you can do this through the Section Editor or Editor's submission Editing page.

There are currently two ways of getting articles into the system: through the submission process (which you've been using), and using the import/export tools and XML. For batch imports, I'd suggest looking into the import/export tools; if you only have a few articles to bring in, or you're not familiar with XML, use the submission process.

Although there are a few steps you need to perform to get an article through the submission process, you can skip most of the editing features. You'll still need to:
  • As an Author, submit the article.
  • As an Editor:
    • Assign a Section Editor
    • Designate the original file as the review version
    • In the Editor Decisions area, accept the submission (see bottom of Review page).
    • Send the Editor Version to Copyediting (see bottom of Review page)
    • Go to the Editing page and upload a galley. This is the version that readers will see.
    • Send the submission to scheduling.

You should now be able to go into Scheduling as an Editor and create an issue.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby pierredv » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:02 am

Hi, thank you for the guidance. I am using v 2.0.2.1

With regard to the import/export procedure, which steps are then skipped (or maybe not skipped) - and does it also take care of the uploading of the galleys, or do I still have to do that.

I actually have a lot of back issues to upload and will investigate the import/export facility.
pierredv

Postby asmecher » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:00 pm

Hello,

The import/export procedure takes care of everything; once you've got your XML file written according to the DTD, simply importing it will publish the contents.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby pierredv » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:35 pm

Hallo Alec

We have used XML for batch updating 20 issues, and in the end it worked well. WE are very proud of our journal website! We recently upgraded to 2.1

I now have a new (related) problem:

Have used the submission process for uploading a new issue, exactly as you have outlined in an earlier email above, and everything went well, but, when I preview the issue, the links to the PDF files do not work, no PDF file open although they are shown on the TOC. Also the cover page I have uploaded does not show on the customised front page for the issue.

The PDF links on the published issues are still OK.

Also, can you recommend a free XML editor, XMLSpy is too expensive for us.....

Pierre
pierredv

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:27 am

Hi Pierre,

Could you email your site's URL to pkp-support@sfu.ca so I can have a closer look?

I use a text editor to edit my XML, and the free "xmllint" tool to validate. I'm not familiar with any of the GUI XML editors, unfortunately.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby pierredv » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:18 pm

If this can help - I get the following message if I try to access the cover page image uploaded in the "issue data" section. The cover image file has been uploaded and is actually shown as such.

"Not Found: The requested URL /public/journals/1/cover_28.jpg was not found on this server. Apache Server at http://www.safpj.co.za Port 80"

Pierre
pierredv

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:23 pm

Hi Pierre,

Can you double-check your file permissions on both your files and public directories (as configured in config.inc.php)? The user your web server runs as needs sufficient permissions to administer all files in these directories and their subdirectories.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby dewet » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:25 am

asmecher wrote:Can you double-check your file permissions on both your files and public directories (as configured in config.inc.php)? The user your web server runs as needs sufficient permissions to administer all files in these directories and their subdirectories.

Hi Alec

I checked the permissions: In the "wwwroot", only /public and /cache is completely writable by the apache user. Also, my files_dir is completely owned by apache. Is there something else we're missing?

When I log in as an editor and go to "future issues" -> "preview" -> "PDF" of one of the articles (http://www.safpj.co.za/index.php/safpj/ ... ad/442/419), I only get an empty response:

Code: Select all
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:29:20 GMT
Server: Apache
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.0-pl1-gentoo
Content-Length: 0
Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=100
Connection: Keep-Alive
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

200 OK

However, if I go to "User home" -> "editor" -> "in editing" -> article link -> PDF document link, I can open the PDF without problems. :?

Thanks,
Dewet
dewet

Return to OJS Technical Support