OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Why are statistics disaggregated by the year of submission?

Are you a Director, Presenter, Reviewer or Conference Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OCS from an everyday user's perspective: conference managers, presenters, and directors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OCS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OCS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OCS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OCS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OCS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Why are statistics disaggregated by the year of submission?

Postby osborne » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:07 pm

There must be a reason why the statistics are given separately for each calendar year, according to the date of submission of the paper ... but it seems to me to be unhelpful and possibly misleading. Unhelpful because to see the % of papers accepted by my conference I have to go to each year separately, look at the number submitted in that year and the number accepted, and then do the math myself. Possibly misleading because
2008: papers published: 5
means not that 5 papers were published in 2008, but that of the papers published in 2009, 5 were submitted in 2008. (I've changed my system to report the total for each conference, not disaggregated by year, so unless someone else would like a change, this is not a request for a change in the standard system.)
osborne

Re: Why are statistics disaggregated by the year of submission?

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:22 am

Hi Martin,

Are you primarily concerned with the scheduled conference statistics at the top of the stats & reports page (which are able to be viewed online as well), or the report functionality? Since the reports are maintained as plugins, it should be (relatively) easy to tweak them according to personal needs, or even create new ones. The statistics stuff at top, however, was ported directly from OJS 2 I believe, and perhaps could be better rethought in terms of how it relates to OCS.

What would you think about being able to view stats per year and per scheduled conference side-by-side? I think the more useful numbers in this case would be the by-conference ones -- you'd be able to see # of registrants per scheduled conference; # of submissions vs. acceptances; etc. The per-year numbers would still likely be useful, at least in some cases, but I do agree that it would be good to have both.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby osborne » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:53 pm

Hi James.

I'm talking about the stats on the
manager/statistics
page. I'm not sure what you mean by the "report functionality"---I just mean that the numbers on the page seem possibly misleading. They would make sense for a journal, but for a conference it seems to me that one wants a single column of numbers with the totals in it. You could put both the totals and the per-year numbers as you suggest. I'm hard-pressed to think of a reason someone would be interested in the per-year numbers---in the context of a conference, a year seems completely arbitrary (unless there are conferences that accept submissions more than a year in advance?)---but I suppose there's really no loss in including them! (If the per-year numbers are included, I suggest adding an explanation. I assumed that the "2009" column heading represented this year's incarnation of my conference, and spent quite a while figuring out why only 30 papers were listed as accepted when in fact I had accepted 31. I fiddled around with MySQL for quite a while before I figured it out!)

Best
Martin
osborne

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:56 pm

Hi Martin,

I've reported this: see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4184, and please feel free to post any additional comments (or fixes!). I've laid out what I see as the best all-round solution.

Thanks for pointing this out!
James
jmacgreg

Return to OCS Conference Support and Discussion