You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Advanced Conference Discussion - what kind of plugin?

OCS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
The Public Knowledge Project Support Forum is moving to http://forum.pkp.sfu.ca

This forum will be maintained permanently as an archived historical resource, but all new questions should be added to the new forum. Questions will no longer be monitored on this old forum after March 30, 2015.

Advanced Conference Discussion - what kind of plugin?

Postby claywhipkey » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:07 am

I am hoping to add some additional ways to aggregate discussion of the conference as well as presentations. This would be along the lines of including a Twitter feed based on a specific #hashtag, importing blog posts with a specific category/tag, and perhaps even showing Flickr photos based on a specific tag.

My question is what type of plugin would be the right place to put that? It would seem to be narrowed down to either "blocks" or "generic", although I don't actually know what either of those really mean. I want to develop it as a plugin so it could be contributed to the community as well as not messing up the core application.

Thanks for any input.

Re: Advanced Conference Discussion - what kind of plugin?

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi claywhipkey,

If it's a sidebar-type block, I'd recommend going the block plugin route; if you want the info to appear elsewhere, of course, it'd have to be a generic plugin. A couple of general notes:

* If it's just a matter of displaying an HTML/Javascript code snippet, you may want to look at Juan's Custom Block Manager plugin: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3459. You should be able to download and install that plugin; create a custom block; and add your code to the block contents. I haven't used it myself yet, but give it a shot.

* Matt just wrote a block plugin howto: http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/Writing_a_Block_Plugin. This should give you a much better idea on what block plugins do; how they work; and how to put your own together.

* Regardless of which way you go about implementing this, we'd love to see the results! Please let us know how it goes.

Return to OCS Development