OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Splash screen, where to put index.html?

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Splash screen, where to put index.html?

Postby mailmirza » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:58 pm

Hi,
I am unable to use splash screen as told on page http://pkp.sfu.ca/files/docs/customizingojs/ar01s05.html.
Where do i need to put this index.html file (containing splash screen) in www directory . Please help.

Regards,
Kashif
mailmirza

Re: Splash screen, where to put index.html?

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:04 pm

Hi Kashif,

You should be able to put the index.html into the same directory as OJS: you should then have an index.html and an index.php file. If you do this and go to your OJS website and are not presented with index.html, you may have to reconfigure the order in which your server looks for default index files.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby biomat » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:24 pm

How do you "reconfigure the order in which your server looks for default index files" in Linux server CPanel?
biomat

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:14 am

Hi Biomat,

I haven't used cPanel before, so I'm not sure about that -- but what you're looking to do is actually tell Apache in which order to load/look for index files by extension. See http://davidwalsh.name/directory-index- ... e-htaccess for example -- the server will look for pages in order, so in that example, index.php would be loaded and index.html would be ignored if both were present.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby biomat » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:19 pm

Thanks a lot! I found .htaccess in www directory and added to it the statement from the web you quoted. It worked immediately. I didn't even have to restart the server or do anything else. Appreciate it.

Second run at it - I went back and removed the statement from the .htaccess file in www directory. Then I created a brand new .htaccess file in the journal directory with just this statement and it seems to work just fine. This is great! I was kind of concerned before that I was potentially messing up some of the other web pages in the www directory. Now I don't have to worry about it anymore. Thank again.
biomat

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion