OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Help with Patches

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Help with Patches

Postby roberta_takenaka » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:00 am

I am working on customizations on OJS for our needs.
I took the 2.0.1 version but now there is the 2.0.2 version and I have already done some customizations.

I want to know how can I easily or methodically create a version 2.0.2 plus mine. I have read about cvs, patch, diff, but in fact, I could not really understand how all of these is related.

If you could help, I would appreciate very much.
Thank you
roberta_takenaka

Postby asmecher » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:32 pm

Hello Roberta,

If you go to http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/download/patch, you'll see a set of patches; the one to upgrade OJS from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2-1 is http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/download/patch/ojs-2.0.1_to_2.0.2-1.patch.gz (ensure that you get the patch for OJS 2.0.2-1, not 2.0.2). Follow these steps:
  • Back everything up
  • Copy the patch into your OJS installation directory and change into that directory
  • Uncompress the patch:
    Code: Select all
    gunzip ojs-2.0.1_to_2.0.2-1.patch.gz
  • Perform a dry run of the patch:
    Code: Select all
    patch --dry-run -p1 < ojs-2.0.1-to-2.0.2-1.patch

This will perform a test run of the update without actually changing anything; this will let you know what you'll need to correct by hand in situations where your changes conflict with the upgrade.

Once you know what to expect and have resolved the conflicts, you can actually apply the patch by using the above command without the --dry-run parameter.

When the code has been successfully patched, use the tools/upgrade.php tool to update the OJS database.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Development