OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

access abstract by non-subscribers

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

access abstract by non-subscribers

Postby Krekels » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:38 am

Hello,

I am setting up a delayed open access journal in OJS with subscriptions. As far as i can see only subscribers can view the content of abstracts and full-text. Is there a way to open access to the abstracts for all readers.

Kind Regards,

Hubert Krekels
Krekels

Postby asmecher » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:06 am

Hi Hubert,

As Journal Manager, have a look at Journal Settings page 2. Under 2.7 Security/Access Settings, there are a number of settings affecting access policies; I believe the setting you're looking for is under Article Access.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

access abstracts

Postby Krekels » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:08 am

Hi Alec,

That is not what i meant. I want to restrict access to full text, but give access to teh abstract like many journal sites do.

Hubert
Krekels

Postby asmecher » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:38 pm

Hi Hubert,

Under Journal Setup, Step 2:
Site Access: Select "Unregistered users can view the journal site."
Article Access: Select "Users must sign in to view the full text of published articles."
User Registration: Disallow readers from registering.

Now the Journal Manager must register users as Readers; once registered and logged in, they will be able to read the full text.

Alternately, you can use the Subscription component; see Journal Setup, step 4. Once enabled, there is a Subscriptions link under Journal Management.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

View Abstract only for all users

Postby mika9 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:05 pm

Hi Alec,

I have followed the instructions mentioned here but I am not able to get an user to view the abstract without logging in. The earlier version, could do it without problems. How can I show all viewers the abstract of articles?

Thanks
Mika
mika9

Postby asmecher » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:34 am

Hi Mika,

If you like, please contact me personally with a URL to your journal along with a temporary Journal Manager account; I can investigate.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby mika9 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:21 pm

Hi Alec,

Thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately, my journal site is not yet ready for public viewing, so cannot send you the link. Please help me with the following issues:

1. What is the difference between Subscribed user and reader? When I added a user as a reader, should I add him again as a subscriber?

2. How can I allow the anonymous user to view the abstracts of each article? Is there any setup?

Thanks for the help.

Mika
mika9

Postby asmecher » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:34 am

Hi Mika,

The set of steps above at http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1655#1655 should be sufficient to allow access to guest visitors. Double-check your access settings in Journal Setup, and if it's still not working, describe the symptoms to me in detail.

The difference between Subscribers and Readers is this this: you can grant readership access without requiring the use of subscriptions. You can also set per-article and per-issue access restrictions, so that Readers are prevented from reading some content, but Subscribers have full access.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby garde » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:33 pm

Hi Alec,

I have the same problem.
We want anybody to have access to abstracts without registering, but require a free registration to access the full text (PDF).

I followed your advice at
viewtopic.php?p=1655#1655

(and reset it - as that were aleady my selections)
but it remains that guests cannot see the abstracts without logging in.

Any ideas?

Kind regards
Sebastian
garde

Postby garde » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:12 pm

Hi again,

in the file pages\article\ArticleHandler.php

I changed the lines 330ff from:

// Check if login is required for viewing.
if (!Validation::isLoggedIn() && $journalSettingsDao->getSetting($journalId,'restrictArticleAccess')) {
Validation::redirectLogin();
}

to
if (!Validation::isLoggedIn() && $journalSettingsDao->getSetting($journalId,'restrictArticleAccess')) {
if (!isset($galleyId) || $galleyId ) {
Validation::redirectLogin();
}

This seems to fix the problem...please contradict me if I am messing with the system here...

Regards
Sebastian
}
garde

Postby asmecher » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:50 am

Hi Sebastian,

You're correct -- that is a bug. I've committed your fix to CVS and it'll be released with the next version of OJS. Thanks for contributing!

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby garde » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:43 pm

Hi Alec,

another little thing with this fix:

Subscriptions based on IP-Domains don't work with this as the subscribers are redirected to the login before it is even checked if they are subscribers. The following seems to fix it:

Code: Select all
if (!Validation::isLoggedIn() && $journalSettingsDao->getSetting($journalId,'restrictArticleAccess') && !IssueAction::subscribedDomain($journal)) { // last part by SG so that subscribers are always bypassed
   if (!isset($galleyId) || $galleyId ) {   Validation::redirectLogin(); }
}

Not sure if it serves all purposes, but for me (using subscriptions only for google scholar, http://www.ejhi.net) it seems to work.

Regards
Sebastian
garde

Postby asmecher » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:29 am

Hi Sebastian,

Committed, with a small optimization to prevent validation of the domain twice. See http://research2.csci.educ.ubc.ca/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ojs2/pages/article/ArticleHandler.inc.php.diff?r1=text&tr1=1.55&r2=text&tr2=1.57 for the cumulative patch against OJS 2.1.1.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Viewing of abstracts by unregistered users

Postby pierredv » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:51 pm

Hi Alec and Sebastian

I've been following this with great interest as I was hoping there would be a solution to the problem that unregistered users cannot see the abstracts.

I've got a few questions before I try the fixes suggested

1. If I do make the suggested fix, and follows Alec's suggested setup procedure (to Hubert on Nov 4, 2005), and disallow users to register as readers, does that mean that the journal manager must manually register every user as reader before they will be allowed full text access? This does not make sense to me as I simply want any visitor to the site (including Google Scholar's crawlers!) to read the abstracts, but have to login (after registration as a reader) to read the full text.

2. Which of the two fixes is the final and correct one, the one posted by Senastian on Sep 19, 2006; or the patch suggested by you on Sep 26, 2006 12:29 pm

Regards

Pierre
pierredv

Postby asmecher » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:55 am

Hi Pierre,

1. In this case, you should simply allow users to register as readers and OJS will behave (with the patch installed) as you describe.

2. The cumulative patch at http://research2.csci.educ.ubc.ca/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ojs2/pages/article/ArticleHandler.inc.php.diff?r1=text&tr1=1.55&r2=text&tr2=1.57 should be all that's required.

Let me know if you have any questions or encounter problems.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Next

Return to OJS Technical Support