OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Problem with resumption token

Open Harvester Systems support questions and answers, bug reports, and development issues.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome.

Problem with resumption token

Postby otuften » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:25 am

Hi,
I am not sure if my harvesting problem is due to the receiving PKP Harvester or the providing repository,
but anyhow, when I harvest to PKP I got only the first 100 records and then an error message, like:
Fetching records...
Harvest URL: ....oai?verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=oai_dc
Harvest URL: ....oai?verb=ListRecords&resumptionToken=%0A1236692481698
Errors/Warnings: The value of the resumptionToken argument is invalid or expired.

It looks like the metadataPrefix is missing, or ...
The other stuff sent is: Complete List Size : 17214, Cursor : 100, Expiration Date : 2009-03-10T16:04:21Z

Regards,
Olav Tuften
Avinet, Norway
otuften

Re: Problem with resumption token

Postby asmecher » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:15 pm

Hi Olav,

Resumption token requests don't require a metadataPrefix parameter, just the resumption token. Have you tried fetching the token manually, i.e. from a web browser? Is there perhaps a throttling limit on your data source?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby otuften » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:42 pm

Hi Alec,
thank you for fast response.
I have tried this case in the browser and got 'Required parameter metadataPrefix is missing!', so I guess I have to contact the provider. The rare is that another harvester I tried works OK, but I guess it then puts on the metadataPrefix in the request.

Regards,
Olav
otuften

Postby asmecher » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:29 pm

Hi Olav,

That sounds like a violation of the OAI-PMH 2.0 spec to me -- from http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.html#ListRecords:
resumptionToken an exclusive argument with a value that is the flow control token returned by a previous ListIdentifiers request that issued an incomplete list.
...where an "exclusive" argument is defined as:
...the argument may be included with request, but must be the only argument (in addition to the verb argument).
However, let me know what the other provider says.

I've also seen cases where data providers don't expect properly-escaped URL parameters, which also breaks the spec; this might also be the case.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to Open Harvester Systems Support and Development