OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

"Add Author" should let to invoke a user from database

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

"Add Author" should let to invoke a user from database

Postby biomat » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:14 pm

When adding as the editor a new author in:

Home > User > Editor > Submissions > #17 > Summary > Edit Metadata

I have to fill in manually all the data even if the coauthor is registered user in the database. Is there a trick one can do to bypass this redundant work? There should be a link to add a co-author from the list of users. Please advise.
biomat

Re: "Add Author" should let to invoke a user from database

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:38 pm

Hi Biomat,

The author information you write in there is distinct from the user roles in the system: it's actually indexing information, more or less, and doesn't rely on users actually being enrolled with the system. Adding the option for users to pick from users in the system is troublesome, as it allows access to the entire user list, and also somewhat presupposes that there may only be one instance of an author name.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby biomat » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:25 am

First, the author info is by definition (or rather by policy) identical to the user info in my journal and in every forestry and natural resource journal I have been publishing in during about 30 years of my experience with paper and electronic submissions. What is different in yours? (the data consists of: First name, Middle name, Last name, Affiliation, Country, Email, URL, and Bio statement) Beside, that’s irrelevant anyway because such selections would be optional and editable, while every author is a potential reviewer.

Next, the editor DOES have the access to the entire list of users already, and he uses it to select the reviewers – right? So, what is so hard to make the same kind of function for the author selection? When it comes to editor’s correcting of the authorship, which authors cannot do after submission, he (me) ends up going to the registered users in one browser and coping and pasting the info from it - bit by bit - into the author editing window in another browser. This is very frustrating and inefficient.

However, this time I appreciate your negative-spirit reply – it gave me a new great idea: there should be (in the same place) also a link to making an account for any author who is not registered yet. You’ve got the bulk of the needed data for it right there all ready to use – one click and you save a bunch of typing with no typos.

Finally, about the “presupposes” – if you use the email as identifier you’ve got it guaranteed.
biomat

Postby theodore » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:34 am

hello, any news concerning this issue??
theodore

Postby primozs » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:30 am

Hi,

I am migrating a publication to the OJS system and immediately came to the same question. Why there is no possibility to add co-author information during an article submission from the OJS database (if the co-author is already there)? At least for us that seems very useful.

Regards, Primož
primozs

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion