OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Errors on Start up

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Errors on Start up

Postby Kram » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:30 am

OJS 2.0 is installed and was working but now we get a series of error messages (warning messages) both above and below the desired webpage. I do not know what has changed on the server side, but in checking phpinfo() I see that it is running version 4.4.0. I saw elsewhere on the support page that others suggested that session.auto_start should be set of Off and this is how it is set. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Here is the error messages:

Code: Select all
Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/execdir/public_html/annals/ojs-2.0/classes/db/DAO.inc.php on line 42

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/execdir/public_html/annals/ojs-2.0/classes/session/SessionDAO.inc.php on line 39

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/execdir/public_html/annals/ojs-2.0/classes/db/DAO.inc.php:42) in /home/execdir/public_html/annals/ojs-2.0/classes/session/SessionManager.inc.php on line 55

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/execdir/public_html/annals/ojs-2.0/classes/db/DAO.inc.php:42) in /home/execdir/public_html/annals/ojs-2.0/classes/session/SessionManager.inc.php on line 55

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/execdir/public_html/annals/ojs-2.0/classes/core/DataObject.inc.php on line 44

Notice: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/execdir/public_html/annals/ojs-2.0/index.php on line 36

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/execdir/public_html/annals/ojs-2.0/classes/db/DAO.inc.php on line 42

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/execdir/public_html/annals/ojs-2.0/lib/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php on line 604

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/execdir/public_html/annals/ojs-2.0/classes/site/SiteDAO.inc.php on line 41

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/execdir/public_html/annals/ojs-2.0/classes/core/DataObject.inc.php on line 44

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/execdir/public_html/annals/ojs-2.0/lib/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php on line 604

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/execdir/public_html/annals/ojs-2.0/classes/site/SiteDAO.inc.php on line 41

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/execdir/public_html/annals/ojs-2.0/classes/journal/JournalDAO.inc.php on line 194

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/execdir/public_html/annals/ojs-2.0/classes/db/DAO.inc.php:42) in /home/execdir/public_html/annals/ojs-2.0/classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php on line 152
Kram

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:54 am

Hello Kram,

I suspect your server has recently been upgraded to PHP 4.4.0. A number of changes were made in the way PHP handles references in that version; these changes were addressed in the most recent version of OJS.

I suggest you upgrade from OJS 2.0 to the newest release, currently OJS 2.0.2-1. See docs/UPGRADE for instructions.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Getting closer

Postby Kram » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:11 pm

Thank you for your reply. I suspected that this might be the problem.

I am now having some problems patching the file. I went to the download page and in my Firefox browser (Windows system) right clicked on link to patch file and saved this on hard drive. I then uploaded the gz file and used putty to get to the drive and used the command:
gzip -d ojs-2.0_to_ojs-2.0.21_patch.gz

this gave me the file ojs-2.0_to_ojs-2.0.21_patch

I then used the command patch: <-pl < ojs-2.0_to_ojs-2.0.21_patch

Here is what I got back:

-jailshell-2.05b$ patch -pl< ojs-2.0_to_2.0.1.patch
patch: **** strip count l is not a number

Help I am stuck. Thanks.
Kram

Postby asmecher » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:57 pm

Hello Kram,

That looks like a typo in your command... The command should be:
patch -p1 < ojs-2.0_to_2.0.2-1.patch

You've got an extra "<" character, and "-pl" should be "-p1" (that's a number one versus a letter L).

Also ensure that you've got the most up-to-date patch; you should be patching directly from 2.0 to 2.0.2-1.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Suddenly Errors

Postby soj » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:55 pm

I am suddenly getting similar errors (line numbers different). It's pretty much crippled the whole site.

According to my web host, the php version is 4.4.1 on a FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE server. We are using OJS 2.0.2 . Since we have not modified the site at all since launch 3 weeks ago, I suspect something has changed on the server side. I have an work ticket in now to determine what.

Any thoughts and help would be very welcome indeed!

One can read the errors at http://www.ejssm.org

soj
soj

Postby asmecher » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:30 am

Hi Soj,

This was probably caused by a PHP upgrade. The most recent releases of PHP 4.x and 5.x have started to complain about reference problems where previous versions just carried on. Try suppressing warning messages -- either change the error_reporting directive in your php.ini configuration file, or use the ini_set function to do the same thing (see http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/function.ini-set.php). These issues have been corrected in the CVS version of OJS and the next release, which is due at the end of the month.

Once the warnings are suppressed, the system should behave normally.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support