OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Sending emails

Are you a Director, Presenter, Reviewer or Conference Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OCS from an everyday user's perspective: conference managers, presenters, and directors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OCS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OCS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OCS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OCS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OCS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Sending emails

Postby stefanos » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:04 am

Hello,
We just started using OCS a couple of weeks ago and are very impressed with how comprehensive the functionality is!
As with all new systems it takes a while to get used to it.
Emailing is one of the areas, where I have a couple of questions.
Let's say I wish to send an email to one or more users (e.g. by going to "Conference Site Management", selecting one of the Roles and then sending a manual email to one or more members of that role).
Is there a way to use a template for that email?
Can I use variables (merge fields) in that email?
Can I change the from field?

Please let me know if you require any more information.

Cheers,
Steven
stefanos

Re: Sending emails

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 pm

Hi Steven,

Glad to hear your experience with OJS has been positive. There's no way to set up a template for those manual email sendings; and without some code jigging, there's no way to manage the rest of what you want. We are in the process of refactoring the way notifications and emails, etc. work within our software; the relevant bug report (patch incl.) is http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3922. However, if you're looking to get your hands dirty, we can possibly offer some pointers; a general use case or two would be helpful.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Re: Sending emails

Postby stefanos » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:28 am

Hello James,
Thank you for your quick reply.
What you've said confirms my findings. Good to know that I'm not completely blind!
We only need to do the one manual email, so I don't think messing with the code is justified, but thank you for your offer of guidance.
If this becomes a requirement in the future, I will pester you again...

Cheers,
Steven
stefanos

Return to OCS Conference Support and Discussion