OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Database Connection Trouble

General inquiries about the PKP.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, vgabler, barbarah, John

Forum rules
Feel free to post general inquiries about the PKP Here. We'll also post notes of interest from time to time. You may also want to check out the PKP blog.

Database Connection Trouble

Postby erostad » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:29 am

Hello, I am new to PKP and am having trouble with the connection to the database. How can I skip the database creation? These are the error messages that I am receiving when calling up the site:

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/www/icainstitute/ojs/classes/core/Registry.inc.php on line 40

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/www/icainstitute/ojs/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 846

DB Error: Unknown column 'path' in 'where clause'

Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this?

Thank you.
erostad

Re: Database Connection Trouble

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:01 pm

Hi erostad,

You can't skip the database creation, but you do have the choice of creating it manually, or allowing the script to create it for you. At which point did you start having problems, exactly?

You may also want to ensure that all files and folders were uploaded correctly, and that you have set the correct permissions for the folders that need them -- more information can be found in docs/INSTALL and docs/FAQ.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby erostad » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:08 pm

Thanks James,

I started having problems after uploading the OJS files from within my website. The error message I am receiving is here:

http://www.icainstitute.org/ojs1/

I would like to allow the script to create the database for me. But I couldn't get that to work. So I tried to connect OJS with a phpmyadmin database, and here is the error message I receive when doing that:

http://www.icainstitute.org/ojs/

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Erik
erostad

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:04 pm

Hi Erik,

The first link you give me gives a 404 not found error -- which means nothing's there. Did you mean to point me somewhere else?

To complete a proper manual install, you have to fill in all appropriate information in your install page (username, password, appropriate database information, etc.. Make sure you know and remember your SQL connection information. You should uncheck the "Create Database" option, and then at the very end, choose "Manual Install". You should get a success message on the next page, along with a text field filled with SQL statements -- copy that to your clipboard, or to a text file, because you'll need it.

You then have to create your new database and run the SQL statement that you just copied against it. You can do both of these steps from phpMyAdmin, although it's been a long time since I've used it and I can't give you specifics. You can also do this from the command line by logging into MySQL. The OxS Quick Reference (http://pkp.sfu.ca/files/docs/quickrefer ... erence.pdf) has some info on how to do this -- check the Installation section for information on how to create a database, and then run the SQL statement against it.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to General Discussion