OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Fixed width

General inquiries about the PKP.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, vgabler, barbarah, John

Forum rules
Feel free to post general inquiries about the PKP Here. We'll also post notes of interest from time to time. You may also want to check out the PKP blog.

Fixed width

Postby Pinkerton » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi,

I'm fairly inexperienced wi(d)th css, and am struggling to make my OJS fixed width. I've been able to locate the following css items I thought looked sensible:

#container {
width: 1200px;
text-align: center;
}

#body {
background-color: white;
font-family: "Gentium Book Basic", Gentium, "Times New Roman",serif;
}

#main {
/* width: 800px; */
padding: 0.5em 0em 2em 0em;
}

and I've tried various options, directly specifying their width. Surprisingly to me, specifying a width for the #container had no effect whatsoever. Because that's what I thought would do what I wanted, specify fixed width for the whole thing, the left sidebar, the contents and the right one. I was able to fix the width by specifying the width of #main, but that doesn't do what I want, since I always want the title image to be situated on top of the main element, that I would like to always be the 823px width of that image.

But as I said, a good start would be just to fix the width of the whole thing, then perhaps adjusting the elements it consists of. How can I do this?
Pinkerton

Re: Fixed width

Postby mcrider » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:36 pm

Hi Pinkerton,

OJS went from fixed width to fluid in version 2.2.2. You can download an older version and take a look at the old CSS. You'd probably be safe replacing the newer version's CSS files with the older ones if that's what you want. Let me know if you need any more help...

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Re: Fixed width

Postby Pinkerton » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:46 am

Hi Matt,

thanks for your swift reply. Well, when I think of it, the fixed width is perhaps more a means than an aim. What is important for me is that the 823px wide title image (as specified in the docs, should appear above the main content window (the middle column if you will), because I think it looks strange when this image floats around as you resize. Why does it need to be an exact pixel width anyway if it is supposed to float freely?

Perhaps there is an easier way to achieve this?
Pinkerton

Return to General Discussion