OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

ojs install question

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

ojs install question

Postby kristen » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:48 pm

I ftp'd the ojs file to my website and began following the install directions:

When I go to the install php and try and create the database, I get the following message:

Sorry, an error has occurred: Unable to create database journal.

I've tried renaming the database, creating the database manually...nothing seems to work.

The system that I'm using has:

mysql 4.0.18
php 4.3.4

I left the port number blank, but perhaps I need to change it...I'm not sure what my port number is......

Can anyone help me?

kris
kristen

Postby kevin » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:05 pm

If your PHP was built against MySQL 4.x, a function has been deprecated that will cause database creation to fail. See here for a solution.

However, you should have been able to create the database manually and then checked the "Database exists" option on the install form to just create the tables. Did you get a different error when you did this?
kevin

Postby kristen » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:30 pm

Thanx...I did manage to get it to do a manual install....I wasn't sure how to set the files path:

This is the full path (including trailing slash) to the directory where all working documents will be kept (uploaded articles and supplementary files, etc.). It is strongly recommended that you keep this directory outside of your regular web documents tree so that it cannot be accessed directly in a web browser. Note also that this directory must be writeable by the webserver. E.g., /home/user/journal_files/

Am I supposed to create a new folder for that or is there a specific folder/file that that refers to?

kris
kristen

Postby kristen » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:34 pm

Sorry to double post here.....I hate to be such a pain. :?

The other question that I have is that the journal appears, but I have this sql error on the login page:

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/kmmath/public_html/ojs/include/db/db.mysql.inc.php:99) in /home/kmmath/public_html/ojs/include/session.inc.php on line 64

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/kmmath/public_html/ojs/include/db/db.mysql.inc.php:99) in /home/kmmath/public_html/ojs/include/session.inc.php on line 64

As a result, when I login I simply get a page full of mysql errors:

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/kmmath/public_html/ojs/include/db/db.mysql.inc.php:99) in /home/kmmath/public_html/ojs/include/session.inc.php on line 64

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/kmmath/public_html/ojs/include/db/db.mysql.inc.php:99) in /home/kmmath/public_html/ojs/include/session.inc.php on line 64

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/kmmath/public_html/ojs/include/db/db.mysql.inc.php:99) in /home/kmmath/public_html/ojs/include/session.inc.php on line 210

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/kmmath/public_html/ojs/include/db/db.mysql.inc.php:99) in /home/kmmath/public_html/ojs/include/functions.inc.php on line 59
kristen

Postby kevin » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:47 pm

a) For the files path, you need to create a directory somewhere and set the appropriate permissions on it so it is writeable by the web server. You can create the directory directly in the OJS directory, but it's recommended that it be created outside of a web-accessible directory (so users cannot access those files directly).

b) Regarding that error message, it sounds like you have an extra blank line or two at the end of include/db/db.mysql.inc.php
kevin

Postby Kristen » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:24 pm

Kevin,

Thank you so much....I've been able to do everything except get the folder that I created to be writeable. :? To create the folder I simply...clicked on create folder and gave it a name....then I used my FTP editor to chmod 777 but it still says it is not writeable.

Did I do something wrong?

I was able to login to the admin section now and am playing around. This is a great program!!!

I can't wait to get it setup and running...

:lol:

kris
Kristen

Another question

Postby kristen » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:26 pm

Another question :?

Can this software also be used for non-reseach related publications? One of the websites that I administer has had a print-based newsletter for the last few years and we would like to make it an online journal (free to view, etc....).

We're not a for-profit organization....

kris
kristen

Postby kevin » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:42 pm

Kristen wrote:I've been able to do everything except get the folder that I created to be writeable. :? To create the folder I simply...clicked on create folder and gave it a name....then I used my FTP editor to chmod 777 but it still says it is not writeable.

That should be sufficient. Make sure you entered the complete path to the directory and included a trailing slash (e.g., "/home/me/ojs/files/"). It's also possible that you created the directory inside a directory that isn't readable/executable. Check that all directories up from the created directory are chmod 755 or similar.
kevin

Re: Another question

Postby kevin » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:45 pm

kristen wrote:Can this software also be used for non-reseach related publications? One of the websites that I administer has had a print-based newsletter for the last few years and we would like to make it an online journal (free to view, etc....).

There aren't any restrictions on use. There are only restrictions on distribution (i.e., if you make customizations to the software that you wish to redistribute or sell) -- see docs/COPYING in that case.
kevin

Postby kris » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:33 am

Kevin,

Thank you so much for your prompt support! I will provide you with a link to our journal as soon as we have it up and running!

kris
kris

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion