OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Deployment of OMP using CVS

To discuss the technical development of the Open Monograph Press.

Moderators: jmacgreg, John

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome.

Deployment of OMP using CVS

Postby aaargh » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:25 pm

Hi all,

We are looking at deploying OMP, and with a vital tip shared by MJ Suhonos (PKP), I've been able to verify with a local test deployment of the current OMP:

Presuming path/site structure for your deployment is something like:

URL: http://omptest.mysite.com/
Path: /var/www/omptest.mysite.com/ (Linux) or
Path: C:\wwwdocs\omptest.mysite.com\ (Windows)

1. Check out the omp files from the anonymous PKP CVS repository as per the instructions at: http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs_download

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@lib-pkp.lib.sfu.ca:/cvs login
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@lib-pkp.lib.sfu.ca:/cvs co omp

If the contents of the "omp/" folder are below the path, the URL will become:

http://omptest.mysite.com/omp/

2. Check out the core PKP libraries

This can be done in several ways, below is one for Linux (and a semi-equivalent for Windows).

* Linux: Check out the core PKP libraries alongside the OMP files and symlink the folder in.

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@lib-pkp.lib.sfu.ca:/cvs co pkp
ln -s /var/www/omptest.mysite.com/pkp /var/www/omptest.mysite.com/omp/lib/pkp

* Windows: Check out the core PKP libraries inside the "omp/lib" folder.

cd C:\wwwdocs\omptest.mysite.com\omp\lib
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@lib-pkp.lib.sfu.ca:/cvs co pkp

3. Set the permissions on the "public/", "cache/" and "config.inc.php" files recursively.

* Linux: Presuming your webserver user is "www-data" and the "working user" is "myuser":

# chown -R myuser.www-data /var/www/omptest.mysite.com
# chmod -R g+w /var/www/omptest.mysite.com/public
# chmod -R g+w /var/www/omptest.mysite.com/cache
# chmod g+w /var/www/omptest.mysite.com/config.inc.php

Note that in this scenario, the user "myuser" owns all the files below the web root for the site, which also need to be readable (and directories executable) by the webserver user "www-data".

4. Navigate to the index page of the site and complete the install.

e.g. http://omptest.mysite.com/index.php

--

I've left out an important step with respect to the creation of the database user, but I'd like to add a feature "request" to the ideas forum, regarding the installation form having fields for database administration credentials, so that installation can happen automatically without the need for MySQL/PostgreSQL commandline/querying (provided the installer has the database root permissions and is comfortable putting them into an installation form for software.)

JT.
aaargh

Location: The University of Melbourne, eScholarship Research Centre

Re: Deployment of OMP using CVS

Postby asmecher » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:56 am

Hi all,

FYI, the CVS tree for OMP is currently pre-pre-pre-pre-release, under heavy development, and for the time being, the primary developer is not keeping the CVS tree especially up-to-date with his local development copy. That is to say, the version you'll see in CVS will probably not be useful to you just yet.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby aaargh » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi Alec,

Yes, thanks for that - I had the pleasure of meeting MJ Suhonos and John Willinsky at the recent PKP User Group Conference, and chatted to MJ about OMP.

So I'm really just showing that we're interested, what we're playing with, and so on. If the preference for my documenting pre-pre-pre-pre-release stuff is not to, that's cool, I'll just play around, and I can see that it's very much cutting edge development.

It's looking promising nonetheless - if the primary developer is happy for me to roll-out, test, etc. the versions in personal development CVS, I'd love to.

Cheers,

James.
aaargh

Location: The University of Melbourne, eScholarship Research Centre

Postby asmecher » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:27 am

Hi James,

Feel free to do as you like -- and watch for announcements in this forum. We'll be seeking community input on OMP as soon as we have something to show, and we'll be posting details here. Help with testing would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OMP Development