OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Can registration be free?

Are you a Director, Presenter, Reviewer or Conference Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OCS from an everyday user's perspective: conference managers, presenters, and directors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OCS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OCS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OCS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OCS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OCS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Can registration be free?

Postby osborne » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:52 pm

Is there a way to make registration free without sending a registrant to a page that asks them to pay $0.00?
osborne

Re: Can registration be free?

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:15 pm

Hi Martin,

You can set it up so that users register with your site to view content (see Website Management Step 2.5), but you can't as of yet create a 'free' registration. The workaround of course is as you posit: creating a registration that costs 0.00. This however isn't semantically correct, and you will run into problems if you don't use the manual registration method. What are your thoughts on the following solution (which I can post as a feature request shortly): when creating a registration type, allow for it to be flagged as a 'free' type (probably by checking a box) -- any types thus flagged will sidestep the payment process but still be listed as a registration.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby osborne » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:24 pm

Hi James. Your proposed solution sounds exactly right to me! Thanks.

Martin
osborne

Postby marcob » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:46 am

I have the same problem which has been highlighted in this thread. I would like one of the
registration types to be "free" and not just for 0 pounds. More precisely I would like someone
to be able to specify that they want to register now but pay "on site" (but a free registration would
allow us me to have this option).

The answer to the original question sounded promising, in the sense that it seemed that this
option may be coming in a future release. Is that so? I mean is this actually recorded as a desired
feature? And, finally, any idea when this feature may appear?

Thanks,

Marco
marcob

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi Marco,

This is in the bug queue, but I'm not sure when it'll be addressed: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4054. It's flagged against OCS 2.3, but may possibly be deferred. Please feel free to CC yourself to that report, and to add any further comments you may have.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:17 pm

One more thing -- there's a forum thread with a solution listed in that bug report.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby h220 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:24 pm

I successfully applied this patch, but have some problems using it.
When registering a 'free' registration type the registration is correctly processed, but the user is sent to an error message telling her to try again. This is of course not possible because she's already registered. Any workarounds for this?

-gisle
h220

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi gisle,

I replicated this, and posted a bug report here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4841. Please feel free to CC yourself to that report for future updates; this should also be fixed in the upcoming OCS 2.3 release.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OCS Conference Support and Discussion